Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144201 - 06/02/03 09:32 AM resonator restriction.
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
one of the threads has a bit about exhaust and the all present U-bend. Does anyone know what the Resonator does to the flow? How restrictive is it? Is it worth removing it? Many had said that from inside the sound level does not change, but from outside it sounds better/louder. If it brought more air flow I would have it removed in a jiffy. Any help on the stats?
#144202 - 06/02/03 12:57 PM Re: resonator restriction.
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I don't have any data to back up my opinion, but I'd be surprised if the stock resonator was much of a restiction if any. The thing is about a hollow as you can get. If you look through the two openings, you can see straight through it with no trouble.

Also, I've used the stock resonator, a glass pack muffler (Thrush), and straight pipe. They all had their own tone on both the inside and out.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#144203 - 06/02/03 01:41 PM Re: resonator restriction.
quark_man Offline
So, really, there would be no enhancement if I removed it and put a straight pipe in its place?
#144204 - 06/02/03 10:02 PM Re: resonator restriction.
Lorenzo Lopez Offline
Loc: Indiana
It is to my understanding that if you remove the resonator and put in a straight pipe, all you really will do is make it louder inside the car. The resonator isn't restricting any airflow at all, it's just making it quieter inside the car. If I'm wrong correct me, but I think I'm right.
#144205 - 06/03/03 12:44 AM Re: resonator restriction.
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Iv'e been told that an efficient exhaust isn't necissarily made up of larger pipe.
A proper setup lets the exhaust flow at a proper velocity. The more bends, and restrictions you put in an exhaust, the less velocity you have because of backpressure.
With this being said....The resonator is a loss in efficiency.
I'm sure this won't effect a stock, or close to stock setup, but for the guys looking for sub 13's it's probably a factor. It may be the difference between a 13.0 and a 12.9.
I know a guy who used a glass pack as a resonator, but installed it backwards. If you know how a glasspack is built, this makes sense. If not, It's too hard to explain.
Mind you, this is only to quiet it down from not having ANY mufflers.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#144206 - 06/03/03 09:10 AM Re: resonator restriction.
quark_man Offline
Thanks guys. I know about keeping the gasses hot and with a certain velocity; e.g. a large bore pipe would do a lot of damage as the gasses would "pile" up due to low velocity of escape and temperature. My exhaust is near stock so I think I will stay with the resonator.
#144207 - 06/15/03 07:33 PM Re: resonator restriction.
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
The resonator is straight through. Think of it as a glasspack with outward punched louvers. I would not remove it. Remember the complete exhaust is stainless steel. Anything from a muffler shop would be aluminized, no good. I used to work at a muffler shop so I am probably more critical/experienced than most. What I did (99 gt) is remove the u-bend and the mufflers. In taking the mufflers out I was able to get the tips up higher so they look much better anyway. It's definately louder and does have some drones. I do like how it sounds even though it took a long while to get used to it. It does have a nice queit warble at idle. I don't think using a glasspack installed backwards makes sense unless you want your car to slow down. I do know how they are constructed. I would never use a glasspack no matter what.