Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148704 - 07/04/02 04:33 PM How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Mike Levy Offline
Loc: Flushing, New York
Got my front ones changed in this 100° heat in about 10 minutes, but I can't see an easy way to get the backs. I figure that most likely the motor will need to be tilted forward? Do I need to remove the bracket thats used for engine removal? An other way that doesn't require unbolting the motor?

TIA.

PS, even if I do have to tilt the motor, it'll still be 100 times easier then it was on my old LT1. That was a nightmare.
#148705 - 07/07/02 06:33 AM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Jeff W. Offline
Loc: North Texas
Before you go to the trouble of tilting the motor you might try pulling the vehicle up on a set of ramps or up on a car lift (if possible) I cant remember for sure, but I think their is a decent view of the plugs from inderneath. I have only had my car on a lift once, and I just cant remember for sure. I will be putting my tranny cooler on soon and doing an oil change if you are interested I could check for you then. Hope I Helped a little. I will be changing my plugs somtime in the near future as well.

"It can't out run Motorola, but it sure comes close!!!"

99 Black GTP Sedan:
Fr & R STB, Thrasher CAI,GM W-body (police) auxilliary tranny cooler, custom 3" exaust to dual 2.5" inlet/outlet mufflers, U-bend replacement, xenon headlights reflective GTP and lower Rocker GRAND PRIX badging, red custom front grilles, 180* stat, Pontiac valve stem caps, red neon light behind front grilles, red custom under hood cross braces
#148706 - 07/07/02 10:53 AM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Chuck Offline
Loc: Memphis
Mike, if you haven't changed them yet, the back plugs are easy to get out if you unbolt the front motor mounts (the dogbones) from the engine, and then tilt it forward. It'll move forward pretty easily with the car in park and the parking brake off. Roll the car forward and set the parking brake to hold it.. (you might want to do this on level ground laugh )

Once you get them changed, release the parking brake and roll the car backwards, and you should be able to line the holes on the dogbones back up pretty easily. The hardest part of all is getting the damn spark plug wires off! mad

From what I remember, you can see the plugs from underneath, but the downpipe and exhaust manifold prevent you from putting a wrench on them.

Good luck! cheers
#148707 - 07/07/02 09:21 PM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Mike Levy Offline
Still haven't changed them. Tried tilting the motor, but I still can't see them. And my arm doesn't fit in between the motor and the STB so I can't really feel for them.

Guess the STB has to come off and the motor needs to come forward again. frown
#148708 - 07/08/02 11:26 PM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Chuck Offline
Loc: Memphis
You definitely have to remove the STB... Once you remove it, there's actually a pretty good bit of space.
#148709 - 07/23/02 01:23 PM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Don't understand the problem.... ? I changed my plugs about a month ago and had no problems getting to the back plugs. Are you taking off the plastic engine cover ? If you take out the oil fill tube it just pulls up from the front. Should be able to see them. Good luck. confused
#148710 - 07/23/02 11:37 PM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
Mike Levy Offline
I don't keep the engine cover on. Its always off during the summer. I still haven't changed the back plugs. How do you see them? I'm gonna have to do it by feel, or remove the brackets used for pulling the motor, cause I still don't see 'em. frown no
#148711 - 07/25/02 10:11 PM Re: How the h*ll do you get the back plugs?
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
Just remove the to front engine braces. This will allow you to roll the engine forward about 3". You still won't really be able to see them but you will be able to reach them a lot better. Oh and the best position is for you to squat on top of the engine or kneel on top of it.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)