Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159966 - 05/22/09 01:52 AM Two Interesting Articles
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
States Most Hostile To Drivers

States With The Worst Drivers

Texas is in the middle of both. How do you stack up?
#159967 - 05/22/09 01:58 AM Re: Two Interesting Articles
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
That's such a lie. Wisconsin drivers suck.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#159968 - 05/22/09 02:27 AM Re: Two Interesting Articles
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I don't buy it. My summer in Tennessee showed me the epitome of bad driving. They are WAAAAY too low.

Oregon is #8? The only problem I see out here is people who go too slow in the left hand lane and won't move over.
#159969 - 05/22/09 03:00 AM Re: Two Interesting Articles
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm surprised Virginia is in the middle, especially since this state is populated with so many who work in the Northern VA/DC area who most rank as stark raving idiots (one trip around the beltway will prove this point)

The Norfolk/Chesapeake area is equally crazy but much of that is goofball tourists heading to the beach and back.

I suppose the rest of the state's large rural areas balance that scale somewhat but there are plenty of brainless wonders out in the sticks as well. Personally I cant wait for VA to pass a hands free cell phone law cuz we have far too many speed freaks who think they can multi-task.

I read once years ago that famed auto editor and author Brock Yates said "If you can handle the LA Freeway and I95 north of Richmond and the DC beltway, you can handle any traffic anywhere in the country."

I agree with him to great degree except anywhere around NYC. I WILL NOT take my car into Manhattan ever again, nor will I attempt the Cross-Bronx Expressway (which does little expressing btw) or the ill-fated BQE. Road conditions and traffic in these areas demand an M-1 Abrams battle tank...but we wouldnt want to give many New Yorkers a gun that big.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#159970 - 05/22/09 09:16 AM Re: Two Interesting Articles
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
So IA drivers DO know how to drive, relatively speaking... could have fooled me! Nobody pays attention to yellow lights (though there are supposed to be cameras going in soon, so maybe they will start).

Try the written driving test: nationaldriverstest.com

I got 100%, only one I guessed on was signaling distance.
#159971 - 05/22/09 10:01 AM Re: Two Interesting Articles
Arcxnus Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
That's such a lie. Wisconsin drivers suck.
I heard WI is pretty bad for drunk driving. Is that true?

I have a friend who lives up there and she constantly has intoxicated people crashing out on the road by her apartment.
#159972 - 05/22/09 02:49 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
nyjets91 Offline
Loc: Wallingford/Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:

I read once years ago that famed auto editor and author Brock Yates said "If you can handle the LA Freeway and I95 north of Richmond and the DC beltway, you can handle any traffic anywhere in the country."

I agree with him to great degree except anywhere around NYC. I WILL NOT take my car into Manhattan ever again, nor will I attempt the Cross-Bronx Expressway (which does little expressing btw) or the ill-fated BQE. Road conditions and traffic in these areas demand an M-1 Abrams battle tank...but we wouldnt want to give many New Yorkers a gun that big.
Driving the Cross-bronx really isn't that bad. You just have to go into it with the mindset that it's going to be a long slow ride, and you're gonna get cut off more times than you can count.

Then again, Connecticut is like NY's little brother. The drivers here suck too, so maybe I'm just used to it.
#159973 - 05/22/09 03:32 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
Richard Candelario Offline
I tend to not agree with AZ getting such low ratings. They might be considering fast=bad driving. TX is pretty good-or-no when it comes to driving skill. GA being rated that low? Good. It deserves that low of a score.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#159974 - 05/22/09 04:10 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
Acefighter Offline
Man, if those people had seen some of the stuff I've seen the past few days, Texas would have ranked much worse when it came to drivers. It's getting so bad now that I'm almost afraid to drive during the day. Almost.

As for how the LEOs are, with a couple exceptions, I think Texas could actually have been ranked a little better for the most part.
#159975 - 05/22/09 05:01 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Tbat, I didn't think LA was that bad when I drove there. They drive fast, but thats it.
#159976 - 05/22/09 05:47 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
The 2nd article title is sooooo misleading. The score comes from a written test, not actual driving. Everyone knows that knowledge and demonstration are completely different things. For instance, my wife is a very safe, courteous, rather spirited driver who has never had a ticket, yet when my daughter started drivers ed, my wife was failing all the written tests. My daughter has mastered the written tests, but still lacks the confidence to drive well. She gets flustered when other cars get too close, she stops way to short at intersections so she can't see and she drives almost in or in the right gutter all the time.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#159977 - 05/23/09 03:55 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
IMO

I think ALL PEOPLE are moron. It doesn't matter what states. In all states people drive like moron or drive better. Everything is still same. I have been in long road trip like Ohio to Florida. People still drive crazy or better. It doesn't make sense about states are getting "best" or "worst". It is about all people. Not states.
#159978 - 05/23/09 03:58 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
Richard Candelario Offline
Nonsense. Just the other day I saw Rhode Island in a SmartCar pass Wyoming, who was driving a Suburban, like it was standing still.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#159979 - 05/23/09 05:10 PM Re: Two Interesting Articles
Acefighter Offline
^^^ LOL I had to read it twice to make sense. lol
#159980 - 05/25/09 11:13 AM Re: Two Interesting Articles
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
I guess I spoke too soon.

There are road work on Ohio highway since 2008. The project will be done in 2010. It was lot of work for new pavement, new wall, rebuild the new bridge, new light and new highway sign. The speed limit is 50.

There are 3 lanes. 2 right lane is just a "normal" highway. 1 left lane is "express highway" which it is mean no exit for 7 miles. It is one lane with both walls on side so you can't go to exit until 7 miles.

This Flordia suv (probably on vacation trip) was on express lane pretty soon. They don't want be on express lane. They brake hard to turn right to go back 2 lane highway but they smash the road work wall hard in middle. Then bounce back to 2 lanes. Other cars smash into suv. What a mess. No, I didn't see what happened but I can see tire mark that look like that. They closed that highway but lucky exit is nearly by the accident so everyone going to exit to pass by accident scene.

I know I went Atlanta road trip 2 years ago. It was confused as hell to me. They have like 6 lanes. Left lane is car pool I believe but I don't have car pool on my local area. I guess all states have different law on road. Like Florida might get confused about express lane that wrecked their suv for turn hard to trying get back into 2 lanes highway.