Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168173 - 03/12/08 01:58 AM The Alamo
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
While I was in San Antonio over the weekend, my buddy and I went and saw the Alamo. We didn't have as much time as I would have liked, so we kind of had to hurry, but it was still very interesting. I've got to say, it's a very humbling experience to be someplace like that. Walking those grounds, thinking about people fighting and dying there...I mean, it always is at a war memorial, but it was slightly different there, thinking back to how those men chose to stay, even though death was almost certain, because they know freedom wasn't free.

It's also impressive to think about how long they held out against such a larger force.

Anyway, it got me thinking and wondering...is the story of the battle of the Alamo taught much in school outside of Texas? I mean, it happened here, in our battle for independence, but it's still a significant battle, and it wasn't just Texans there. So...is it taught in schools though out the country? Just curious. confused

Anyway, if any of you ever get the chance, I recommend going. It's beautiful there, and like I said, it's really interesting. (However, the roads on the outskirts of San Antonio are surprisingly dangerous...)
#168174 - 03/12/08 10:19 AM Re: The Alamo
Richard Candelario Offline
nope, AZ never really harped on it much. For some reason, all my history teachers also liked to hit on one tidbit: it took the Americans how many waves to finally beat out the Mexicans who were trying to reclaim their land?

That is one place we wanna take the kids to while Im out that way. There, Busch Gardens/Sea World, Six Flags, and South Padre. My wife said that the island is the [poop].

Pics?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#168175 - 03/12/08 01:20 PM Re: The Alamo
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Nope, not taught much... Just basicly "it was a battle" and thats about it... reminds me of a great alimo joke, but I wont post it here as its alil racey... PM me if you wanna know it :p

I'm not a fan of TX drivers out here in AZ either... they ALL drive a chevy pick up and drive SLOWER then posted speed limites...
#168176 - 03/12/08 03:13 PM Re: The Alamo
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
ya we learned a lot about it... my history teacher is a huge history buff... he loves history and courage and stuff, he talked about that story for a while...

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#168177 - 03/12/08 07:54 PM Re: The Alamo
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
We learned about it, but I don't recall much of it. All I really know is that Ozzy Osbourne wasn't allowed to perform in TX for 10 years after he urinated on it one night.
#168178 - 03/12/08 08:43 PM Re: The Alamo
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Yep we cover it in elementary school as well as Jr. High and High School up here.

The story is pretty amazing though, those guys were outnumbered 10-1 and they still came back to form one of the largest rental car companies in America.

^Jeff Foxworthy, I had to do it laugh

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#168179 - 03/12/08 10:59 PM Re: The Alamo
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
nope, AZ never really harped on it much. For some reason, all my history teachers also liked to hit on one tidbit: it took the Americans how many waves to finally beat out the Mexicans who were trying to reclaim their land?

That is one place we wanna take the kids to while Im out that way. There, Busch Gardens/Sea World, Six Flags, and South Padre. My wife said that the island is the [poop].

Pics?
if you make it to south padre check out this place
http://www.schlitterbahn.com/spi/
i would recommend going to the one in New Braunfels as well.

#168180 - 03/13/08 07:28 PM Re: The Alamo
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
We didn't take a whole lot of pics there, since we plan on coming back, but I'll see what my friend has got. He did get some pics and vids at the Pinks event, so I'll get them from him.