Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168241 - 07/19/08 08:59 AM The Dark Knight
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
The Dark Knight

As a dyed in the wool Batman fan and lover of the dark world of brooding rooftop psychosis, I think this film is worthy sequel to "Batman Begins" which in my opinion was the best Batman film to date. "The Dark Knight" does a masterful bit of storytelling by twining together three interrelated plots with dire consequences.

I thought Heath Ledgers performance was chilling and most important of all, sings no homage whatsoever to Jack Nicholson's 1989 rendition. Ledger delivers the soul of a man so tilted that he actually thinks he is sane while the rest of the world is truly mad. His almost monotone level of speech punctuated by twitching eyes and a tongue racing over his lips tells of the rampant mind looking for stimulation at each unknowing turn. Here is a villain that can relish the delight of cutting your throat and in the next instant be so bored as to have nearly no pulse at all.
His only true moments of maniacal joy seem to come when Batman is pummeling him, as though he is getting high on his own pain.
This film also depicts Batman at his brutal best. It showcases the convictions of a man that are so strong as to even surpass his own cognitive action. A hero that will surely sacrifice himself before he breaks his own rules. It is here that Ledgers Joker exposes the dichotomy between Batman and his arch nemesis. Both so firmly entrenched in their respective mindsets that will stop at nothing to thwart the other. All the while the Joker exploiting the one fine line that separates them. The line of death. The spiraling imagination of a madman pitted against the relentless will of a tormented hero.
Herein lies the reason I have always been so incredibly drawn to the mythical Knight of Gotham City. He is flawed and human with all of the emotional baggage that comes with that, yet he has found a way to use not only his wealth and his genius but he has turned his own fears inside out. The more angst and pain that he endures, the more incredibly dangerous to his enemies he becomes. The fear of his potential appearance runs cold in the veins of those he has faced since they live to tell about it and his legend grows.

Big kudos also to Aaron Eckhart for his portrayal of DA Harvey Dent as he lends the suspension of disbelief to a character that otherwise belongs in a horror film. He delivers with verve and presence the hard nosed DA bent on taking down the criminal element in Gotham. Once struck with personal loss and disfiguring injury, he then shows us how easily a good man can fall over the edge. Driven by pain both physical and emotional he exposes the potential ugly side that lurks in us all. Another example of a character so very similar to Batman but gone horribly wrong. Yet even in this half man/half monster state, Batman's faith in his friend remains unshaken. Proof that even the darkest of nights cannot quell the power of hope nor the convictions of crusading hero.

"Let no innocent heart fear the darkness or the eerie moonlight, when above from the gargoyles lair, they catch a glimpse of the Shadow of the Bat"

Five stars and two big thumbs way up!

And we’ll see YOU at the movies.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#168242 - 07/19/08 11:44 AM Re: The Dark Knight
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
personal thoughts? i loved the previews for the movie i havent seen it yet but i want to shortly
#168243 - 07/19/08 01:40 PM Re: The Dark Knight
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
I went yesterday. Awesome. smile
#168244 - 07/19/08 04:20 PM Re: The Dark Knight
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Yes, it was a terrific movie. Definitely worth going to see.

But I've got to say, this is why I like the Punisher. I mean, how many times did the Joker get captured, and then escape to kill more people? If they had just shot him in the face and moved on the the next bad guy, many lives would be saved. Unethical? Well, it makes for a good debate.

But Heath Ledger's performance was...amazing. I don't know how else to describe it.
#168245 - 07/19/08 05:14 PM Re: The Dark Knight
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
That was an awesome movie! went and saw it last night.
#168246 - 07/19/08 05:26 PM Re: The Dark Knight
20gtp02 Offline
Ledger was outstanding, and chilling.
I think I over hyped or was hyped up for the movie. I think it was hyped too much, or I saw too muc of it before I went and saw it. It was good but I think something small was missing, not sure what.
I also thing some scenes were unnecessary, like the trip to Hong Kong and one other I can't remember at the moment.
The first scene in which the Joker is just amazing is when he slams that guys head down over that pencil, and performs magic! This scenes is awesome.
The movie did seem a little lengthy.
I still would recommend seeing it in the theaters!

#168247 - 07/20/08 04:37 AM Re: The Dark Knight
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
I didn't think it was lengthy. I hate the fact that most movies are only and hour and a half, especially with the outrageous prices you pay at theaters. The length of this movie (not to mention the quality) made me feel like I actually got my money's worth.

Something you guys will laugh about: When the Lambo is wrecked, the guy next to me said "Not the Ferrari!" lol Moron...
#168248 - 07/20/08 03:54 PM Re: The Dark Knight
Baby Grand Offline
Loc: Edmonton, AB
I loved it. It lived up to all the hype in my opinion. It also opened the door for a new Batmobile!
#168249 - 07/21/08 09:03 PM Re: The Dark Knight
20gtp02 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
Something you guys will laugh about: When the Lambo is wrecked, the guy next to me said "Not the Ferrari!" lol Moron...
What an idiot!

#168250 - 07/21/08 09:53 PM Re: The Dark Knight
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
I watched it online and it was awesome, i loved it, if anyone else wants to know an easy way to watch it, PM me and ill shoot ya the link.
#168251 - 07/21/08 09:56 PM Re: The Dark Knight
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Boosten how was the quality? I hate when people get up and walk in front of the camera or the camera doesn't catch the whole screen or you have to read the subtitles cause it's in some asian language I can't understand.
#168252 - 07/21/08 09:58 PM Re: The Dark Knight
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
The quality was pretty decent i thought, ive seen some better, and some of course worse, but i thought it was real good quality, the only thing that bothered me was a couple of times you could hear the guy eating his popcorn. but it showed the whole screen, he had it set up perfect.
#168253 - 07/21/08 11:23 PM Re: The Dark Knight
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I saw it when I was out of town. A friend of mine were in best buy and we saw the preview on an HDTV. We were so psyched, we just said forget it and went to see it.

The one thing that was annoying was the batman's fake gravely voice. It was funny when a certain other villain (no spoilers here) and batman talked. Both tried to sound deep, dark, spooky. Ended up sounding like they were sleepy and had a bad cold.

Heath Ledger was amazing in the movie and its said knowing he's not going to be back. In an interview, the director mentioned they wanted the joker to be very dark. It was a careful balance of not revealing anything about his past to make him more human and pronounce sympathy and make him just want destruction while not making him one dimensional. Very difficult task for an actor but he pulled it off.

I'm glad it didn't rely completely on CGI. Overall, I liked it.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#168254 - 07/21/08 11:37 PM Re: The Dark Knight
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Ledger was outstanding, and chilling.
I think I over hyped or was hyped up for the movie. I think it was hyped too much, or I saw too muc of it before I went and saw it. It was good but I think something small was missing, not sure what.
I also thing some scenes were unnecessary, like the trip to Hong Kong and one other I can't remember at the moment.
The first scene in which the Joker is just amazing is when he slams that guys head down over that pencil, and performs magic! This scenes is awesome.
The movie did seem a little lengthy.
I still would recommend seeing it in the theaters!
Lengthy is right. My friend had to go on a party bus so he left 25 minutes before the ending. Man, I did want to leave the theater after a while because it was fatiguing.

The beginning scene and the magic trick is what we still talk about. Everything else was just over hyped.

I thought the Rachel woman Kirsten Dunst (Interview with a Vampire, Spiderman). We were thinking "Wow, she aged!!!" Come to find out its someone else. I'm relieved.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#168255 - 07/24/08 01:46 PM Re: The Dark Knight
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Ditto's to TBat's review... Just saw it last night on the IMAX screen and it was awesome. thumbsup

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >