Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168492 - 03/15/08 12:59 PM Re: The Release of the new Bird
burninrubberGT Offline
Loc: Roxbury, NJ
i read a quote by one of GM's guys, they said the firebird project was canceled because they did not want to dump the money into something that would never happen because of the new CAFE standards, it just wouldnt fit into the lineup

so in plain english, the government is to blame for pontiac not recreating the firebird

and the RWD pontiac is getting is set to be the new "el camino" or the Ute as they call it in australia

Reppin North Jersey
JSCGP.com
#168493 - 03/15/08 02:02 PM Re: The Release of the new Bird
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
For the umpteenth time GM never planned on reviving the firebird. All the pics and stories were photoshops done by those who want a bird not by GM.

GM knows that to make money they cannot compete with two badged styled cars. As for why the Camaro over the Bird is cause the Camaro has a much much larger fan base.

We'll see what happens with the Ute. I believe the only reason it'll stay a Pontiac is because it's based on the G8/Commadore and the cost of designing a front end and fenders for a GMC or Chevy is cost prohibitive.

I doubt GM will bring the Ute to market here. What are the current sales of a regualr cab Colorado/Canyon these days? And with the new CAFE it'll be interesting to see what powerplant it'll get. Like I said on another post my money's on it being a limited production akin to the Chevy SSR.