Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170313 - 05/05/09 05:42 AM back from the Florida tour
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
Finally got back home today from our "Cruise to Paradise" and I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I've got plenty of pics to process and my wife has easily twice as many as I do so there will be much info and such to follow. Just to give a quick over view of what we did...

1st night in Jacksonville
Old town St Augustine, Castillo San Marcos
2nd night Daytona Beach
Daytona Speedway, Ponce inlet lighthouse, drove on Daytona Beach (that was wild)
3rd night Cocoa Beach
Sunrise on the beach, Kennedy Space Center
4th night Homestead
Cruised the Overseas Hi-way to Key West, Mallory Square for sunset, then Duval St.
5th night Key West
Toured the Island by bike, beaches and other sites, Sailed on the Caribbean Spirit for snorkeling the reef and sunset on return trip. (my 1st sail and it was intoxicating)Duval St again for dinner.
6th night Key West
Cruised back to Miami, checking out some of the other keys and 7 mile bridge.Dinner in Miami at wifes friends restaurant "Scorch" (fabulous place!)
7th night Miami
Miami Beach and South Pointe Park then hit Rt41 and checked out the Everglades (including gators crossing the highway!) then shelling and sunset on Sanibel Island.
8th night Ft Myers Beach
Took in the Sponge Docks at Tarpon Springs and boat tour of the area.(way cool having dolphins chase the boat, by far the closest I've ever seen one)...wonderful Greek food there btw.
9th night north of Clearwater
Caladesi State Park and Honeymoon Island then cut back across to the Daytona "destination"...worlds largest Harley dealer and the whole mall of shops there with it (this place must be a zoo during bike week)
10th night was just a stop over in Georgia, south of Savannah and then the rest of the way home we outran the thunderstorms hot on our backsides.

Florida gets two big thumbs up from both me and the wife thumbsup thumbsup
We had a blast.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#170314 - 05/05/09 07:07 AM Re: back from the Florida tour
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Cool glad you had fun.
#170315 - 05/05/09 10:39 AM Re: back from the Florida tour
20gtp02 Offline
That was fast.
I got chills just reading the destinations!!
Really that was quick.
Welcome back.
Yes Destination Daytona is wild during the bike events, all of Daytona is wild.
Did you go in the Fort in St. Augustine?
Glad you drove the beach.
How was ponce inlet, did you go up in the lighthouse?
How was the keys and Clearwater, gorgeous?
Wish we could have met up, but the car is down anyways and looks like you were on a tight schedule with a wonderful woman.

#170316 - 05/05/09 11:59 AM Re: back from the Florida tour
ThunderBat Offline
It was much fun and we did cram a lot into the ten days, which is probably why it felt like it flew by.
My wife is nursing a damaged arch inher left foot right now so she has to wear one of those "ski boots" to keep from bending her ankle so a lot of stair climbing was out, so we didnt venture up into any of the lighthouses we visited.
We got to the Fort a bit too late to take the whole tour but we alked around and got some outside pics. We chatted with some of the costumed workers and watched the musket demonstration outside.
The Keys were amazing as were the Gulf beaches (cant believe the shells!) but then Daytona, Cocoa and Miami were beautiful as well. (quite a few topless in Miami...woot!)

I think its likely we will return at some point...I'd love to come down and catch the Rolex 24 or the Sebring 12 hours. Lots to like in Florida.

#170317 - 05/05/09 01:24 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Sounds like you had fun Tbat, only time I've ever been to Flordia was last year in Orlando. It was pretty nice being there and thought it was pretty cool. Hawaii tops it though because I've been there 3 times and Flordia, once. Glad to hear you had a good time those looked like some good places to go:D

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#170318 - 05/05/09 05:03 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Welcome back!

By the look of that list I would say you must have had a good time.
#170319 - 05/05/09 05:05 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
You drove right by me a couple of times! Glad you had fun! Give me a shout next time you get down here.
#170320 - 05/05/09 07:31 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
Richard Candelario Offline
Welcome back, Tim. still waiting on that narrative, and DROOLING for those pics.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#170321 - 05/05/09 07:57 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
You drove right by me a couple of times! Glad you had fun! Give me a shout next time you get down here.
Pshhhh, who wants to see you? Lol jk. laugh

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#170322 - 05/06/09 11:57 AM Re: back from the Florida tour
snowrider900 Offline
Loc: Owatonna mn
Sanibel Island, That is on of the best beaches, along with boca..did you get a chance to visit..
http://www.shellfactory.com/ in ft myers, that place is about 20x's bigger now then the last time I was there...I miss fla!
#170323 - 05/06/09 07:02 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
The Shell Factory is like 10 minutes from my dorm, I'll have to check that place out.
#170324 - 05/08/09 10:47 PM Re: back from the Florida tour
ThunderBat Offline
my wife prefers gathering shells off the beach versus the clean and polished ones in the stores. She has little glass spice jars with sand and shells in them from every beach we have ever visited.

We are gonna have to try and work out a Florida meet at some point. I'd really like to attend the Rolex 24 or the 12hrs Sebring event and I'm sure we could work out a meeting point somewhere along the way. If nothing else I'm gonna have to come back and get some shots of the T-Bat on Daytona Beach!