Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174500 - 02/09/08 11:09 AM how does it work...
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
so how does boring an engine work? is it just like porting the entire engine?

How does forging work? i've heard you can get forged parts or a forged engine and i dont know what it means...

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#174501 - 02/09/08 11:31 AM Re: how does it work...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
boring means a dull yawner of a day at the machine shop lol

j/k...boring is actually enlarging the diameter of the cylinders..."drilling" at the risk of over simplification...this is why once an engine as been bored it must have a new set of larger pistons installed to fit the now larger cylinders.

Terms you will hear used such as 0.10/0.30 or 0.60 refer to the amount of boring in thousandths of an inch...more commonly referred to as "30 over" or "60 over" denoting the amount of boring which has been done. Enlarging the cylinders as such thus increases the displacement of the engine, even if only a small amount.
"Stroking" on the other hand involves the installation of a new crankshaft as well as the connecting rods. This means the piston goes farther down in the cylinder bore on each revolution of the engine, yielding a longer intake charge and therefore a longer power stoke. Stroking will greatly increase the displacement of the engine but is limited by the amount of room there is in the bottom of the block, so that the cranks counterweights do not contact the block itself.
So when you hear that an engine has been "stroked and bored" you'll know it has been made larger in displacement.
"Balance and blueprint" comes into play here as well with the machinist carefully checking each piece of the internal assembly to make them all exactly the same. Each piston the same diameter and same weight as well as each connecting rod. Journals on the crank are machined to much closer tolerance than factory specs. All this results in an engine that spins so smoothly it requires little or no counterbalance, so the smoother it spins, the higher the rpm it can turn and still live.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#174502 - 02/09/08 12:54 PM Re: how does it work...
GP GT GUY Offline
okay thats what i thought about boring... and i kinda got the same thing about stroking... just like when zzp had that stroker kit to make our engines a 4.1

#174503 - 02/09/08 01:06 PM Re: how does it work...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Forgings are pieces of steel that are cut with a machine into the the part. The opposite is casting, which is, as you would guess, a part that is formed from molten steel poored into a cast.

Most engine parts are made from castings, but it is weaker than forgings due to the way the structure of the steel solidifies into the shape.

Castings also have rough areas that aren't touched unless it's a cosmetic issue. Forgings are generally all smooth because they had to be cut into the shape.
#174504 - 02/09/08 02:34 PM Re: how does it work...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
blocks, cylinder heads and manifolds will always be cast unless the engine is some custom one-off assembly. Such items must be cast since they employ internal cavities (water jackets for the cooling system)...then crucial parts of the casting will be machined to proper size and fit. (like Rook said)
Pistons, rods, cranks, cams, rockers and other various small parts can be forged since they need no internal openings.
Castings can be magnafluxed to increase their strength but they will never be as strong as a forged part. Some engine blocks are even "sleeved" to make the cylinder wall both stronger than its cast material as well as replaceable.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#174505 - 02/09/08 03:34 PM Re: how does it work...
GP GT GUY Offline
okay thanx for the 411 on that guys... now i feel like an engine genius lol

#174506 - 02/09/08 05:12 PM Re: how does it work...
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
are you ready to do your own build now lol
#174507 - 02/09/08 11:03 PM Re: how does it work...
GP GT GUY Offline
im probably gonna do my own custom 69 camaro when i turn 25... take a look at my dream car post a while back to know what i want to do to it, but i'd like to drive it more than let it sit in the garage...

#174508 - 02/10/08 08:34 AM Re: how does it work...
4drgt Offline
im doing a 51 ford ... well trying to anyways there is TONS OF TIME and even WAY MORE MONEY in doing these builds but i want to drive it alot when im done so im going with fuel injection and an AT yess its still going to have one bad ass motor so i can brake them loose whenever i want i just want to drive it

quote trailers are for boats.
#174509 - 02/10/08 10:30 AM Re: how does it work...
GP GT GUY Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
quote trailers are for boats.
I agree... ya i will def. have EFI, im deciding on what engine though... i mean like do i want a just 396 for the name... or a 454 for the big block power or like a 572 just because i can... or even an LS9 for the new power... im undecided which one i want to get... but im sure in 8 years there will be an even bigger BA engine...

#174510 - 02/10/08 10:40 AM Re: how does it work...
4drgt Offline
i am prolly going to go with a built 350 because they are a dime a doz parts are cheep and they can make some good power
#174511 - 02/10/08 11:32 PM Re: how does it work...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
i am prolly going to go with a built 350 because they are a dime a doz parts are cheep and they can make some good power
i have my 350 block sitting in my garage at home waiting to head to the machine shop to get bored and stroked.

If the pontiac would ever stop giving me problems i could finally put money into my camaro