Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180599 - 12/28/09 09:26 PM Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
After spending a week with relatives at my parents house, I wondered if I missed something. When did teens start being in charge of parents?

I was amazed at teens that did not do what was asked or told, never pitched in to help on their own and were appalled when asked or told to do something. I actually walked out of my parents house on two occasions as my 15 yr old nephew swore at his mom (my sister) and told her he would not help. Once was with dishes and once was shovel the 4" of snow. I felt it was better I leave than go to jail.
Not only her kids, but others had attitude if you asked to put away their phone/ipod/i-touch etc for 5 minutes while they ate or even while the extended family opened presents. I about lost it when my family was asked to wait for some teens to get out of bed, eat and shower before we went somewhere cause the kids weren't awake yet. Even though we had all decided the night before about going sledding at 9am. Found out they were up until 3am texting back and forth with their friends back home. Me and my kids left them behind, and then "I" was the bad guy.
The most amazing was the 15 yr old who made his dad drive him to Starbucks on Christmas morning cause my parents don't drink coffee and he "needs" his coffee to wake up.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#180600 - 12/28/09 09:39 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
Richard Candelario Offline
it would prolly had been better to have the cops called on you. Then you could describe what was going on. The cop may have seen it your way. Most likely would have seen it your way.

So what if you "need" coffee to wake up? Folgers is just as good. Besides, if anyone is addicted to coffee, it's military. And I have seen even the most stalwart coffee-addicts do just fine without.

The kid's a POS and needs to be readjusted before something bad happens to him for real. Guess why I have my kids do a LOT of crying now? Act the [butt] at home so they wont when out.

I am sorry that you had to deal with those brats. I feel ya. I really do. Remember my last job? Yeah, I feel ya.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#180601 - 12/28/09 09:49 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
72chevman Offline
Quote:
Remember my last job? Yeah, I feel ya
OH Yeah. Totally forgot. I'm sure you saw plenty of those.

What makes it worth it to me, is my kids commented when we left how nice it was to leave. My sister told my wife and I to send my kids next summer to her house for a week so they could see Washington DC. My teens pleaded to not go.

As for explaining it to the Police. I can't keep my Security Clearance or something else if I have that type of record.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#180602 - 12/28/09 10:32 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
Richard Candelario Offline
...i havent had that problem as of yet...need hints? spanking works...i promise it does...and it makes you feel better immediately and eventually...i promise it does...

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#180603 - 12/29/09 12:57 AM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
72chevman Offline
We have no issues at our house. Both kids were spanked at a young age as I was when I was young. I laugh at people who say that spanking is abuse. My kids are polite and well behaved at 13 & 16. They joke to their friends that I wear a size 11 steel toe cowboy boot so don't screw around while at my house.
#180604 - 12/29/09 01:12 AM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I totally agree with you on that Chevman. My cousins act the same way around my family. My parents raised my brothers and I right, we all got spanked as "youngin's" lol. My cousins have NO manners when going out in public, they do what they want when they want.

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#180605 - 12/29/09 09:31 AM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I know what your talking about. My neices and nephews are the same. It stems from parents who say spanking is bad and I won't raise my kids the way my parents raised me. And this is what we end up with. A self absorbed entitled society.

I tell you a hermit lifestyle is looking more and more promising every day.
#180606 - 12/29/09 10:32 AM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
20gtp02 Offline
My parents are both 30+ yr school teachers.
Its all in the parenting.
When I go to family reunions or even occassions with friends, they're kids don't do squat.
Ever since I was able, my parents had me doing laundry and dishes.
I've been swinging the hammer with pops since I was 10 too.

#180607 - 12/29/09 03:26 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Nah they need to grow up the old way lol. Skin still crawls when I see a wooden spoon hahaha. It builds character.

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N
Soon: APS TT kit wink

SOLD \/
01 GT | STr5 cam | PT-67 | 18-22psi

#180608 - 12/29/09 04:30 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevman:
After spending a week with relatives at my parents house, I wondered if I missed something. When did teens start being in charge of parents?

I was amazed at teens that did not do what was asked or told, never pitched in to help on their own and were appalled when asked or told to do something. I actually walked out of my parents house on two occasions as my 15 yr old nephew swore at his mom (my sister) and told her he would not help. Once was with dishes and once was shovel the 4" of snow. I felt it was better I leave than go to jail.
Not only her kids, but others had attitude if you asked to put away their phone/ipod/i-touch etc for 5 minutes while they ate or even while the extended family opened presents. I about lost it when my family was asked to wait for some teens to get out of bed, eat and shower before we went somewhere cause the kids weren't awake yet. Even though we had all decided the night before about going sledding at 9am. Found out they were up until 3am texting back and forth with their friends back home. Me and my kids left them behind, and then "I" was the bad guy.
The most amazing was the 15 yr old who made his dad drive him to Starbucks on Christmas morning cause my parents don't drink coffee and he "needs" his coffee to wake up.
Yep by me being 25 its a shame what I see kids do, my neice is a perfect example telling her dad to go to mcdonalds and get her a burger at 11pm.
#180609 - 12/29/09 05:59 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
Dthreap Offline
Loc: Canal Fulton, OH
I understand how you feel completely. I can't stand when i see kids talk back to their parents or elders. I'm 18 and the first child of 3 and out of the 3 of us I believe im the most well mannered. I see my little bro pull crap that I would never have been allowed to do. Refuse to do chores, talk back, all that stuff. But when the parents are out and we both happen to be home. My parents will ask me to have him do a few things so I make sure it's done even if I have to be the one that yells and swats him.

A few weeks ago he tried to tell me that he didn't have to do a thing. I told him one more time and he put his shoes on to leave and go across the street. I grabbed him and got in his face and said "listen here, your 12, mom and dad told me and you both what your to do. Now if you don't do it, your life will be hell for quite possibly all of this week.". He's learned that when i tell you to do something it better be done. I usually cut off all internet to the computer he uses, the xbox 360 and have him stay in his room with absolutely nothing till they return and every time they leave it starts again.

So he emptied the dish washer and the trash cans like he was told :p

#180610 - 12/29/09 10:21 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Since I;m no longer a teenager (turned 20 on Sunday W00T!!) I feel I can contribute. I've been on both sides of the spectrum, being the youngest of 3 kids. I was a P.O.'d teenager mad at who knows what for whatever reason when I was 12 to 14yrs. old. Spent some time in placement, got a couple fines, yadda yadda. Now That I've grown up and am a father I look back and feel ashamed, however I believe it has made me better in the long run. Having been there I know the signs, the attitudes and so on, so I can not just prevent, but help my son through whatever if he ever starts to become that way. I have ADHD and have for a very long time. I get a kick out of kids who hide behind a fact such as that and try to udr it as an excuse. I've been un-medicated for 7yrs and I think I'm doing just fine. Since I work with the public now I have to be well mannered and such and some days it is hard. When I see 15-16yr old kids acting like asses to their parent's I cant help but chuckle to myself and whisper "It doesnt get any better..". Now I try to lead by example.

Any of that make sense to anyone?? lol

"Mr. Mom"
#180611 - 12/30/09 10:41 AM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
I think information age is certanly a frontier buster, cause you are describing teenagers over here.
That about spanking is abuse is so stupid. Even my wife has told me that we should never even spank my baby, Yeah right, I wont ask her when it comes the moment. my brothers and I received a lot of spanks and even if we are not the top 3 best sons I think we are a very nice family and very respectful of others rights, so Im sure Mateo (mi son) will thank me in the future as I do now to my parents.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#180612 - 12/30/09 02:18 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
It's not just thing. It's a lot of things that have given kids the easy way out. It's the whole political correctness crap about not spanking kids, time outs, giving them electronics instead of spending time getting to know your own kids, parents working too much, etc....

My niece and nephew don't pay much attention to my sister or my mom but when I tell them to do something, they know they have to do it. They know I'll take away everything of theirs and punish them. I do spend time with them, some individually and other both of them at the same time.

I was raised with the fear of the belt. Needless to say, I still will not talk back to my mother because she would probably keep me in line without remorse. A slap on the butt (not abuse) is necessary to remind kids who's in charge. That's how I see it. That's how I've been raising my niece and nephew. That's how I'll raise my son.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#180613 - 12/31/09 09:20 PM Re: Did I miss the memo on Teenagers?
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
My Niece is like that, but feel it's partially her Moms fault (my sis) Plain rude at times. She lives in another state, so I text on occasion to see how she is and I get rude replies, if any at all. When she comes to visit, she is on her phone 24/7 (13 years old) Even at sea world.

My oldest Son is starting to be like that. His mother and I are divorced and he gets to run the house while there. When he comes her for visitation, he hates it because I have rules and make him say Yes Sir and No Sir when he is spoken to. As well as change his attitude, and the way he responds to adults. (one is 7 and the other is 3) But, I'm trying to teach them manners and rules of life while still trying to be a good guy, but my oldest seems to dislike me most of the times.....

Then they I see the kids at the Mall. That is a whole different topic, lol And the teenage girls dressing the way they do, and people wonder why they get pregnant, raped, or kidnapped....... No care in the world. Kids these days are mossing the BEST YEARS OF THEIR LIFE, and they have no clue. I used to play outside with Hotwheels and GI Joes, now they play with phones and game systems all day. Seems kids will eventually be born and issued a cell phone and laptop...

I used to get a bar of soap on my mouth when I talked back, a whole new bar, the big ones! LOL
I also used to get pepper and the belt. I swatted my youngen on the rear after he kicked the car next to mine while he was mad, and a lady had a nerve to tell me if she sees me do it again, she will call CPS. I asked if she wanted to use my cell phone.....