Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182582 - 01/22/10 09:09 PM TECH SAVY PEOPLE.. I NEED HELP
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
I recently had a tv issue due to some recent storms that have passed threw iowa, long story short my tv is fryed, i need a new DM module so if anyone can check around and see if they can come up with one, there is talk about some people that repair them due to cap's becomeing swelled an bursting but i dont have the ability to solder them back in without searious mess lol so if anyone can help me find this part thanks
#182583 - 01/23/10 08:31 PM Re: TECH SAVY PEOPLE.. I NEED HELP
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
Have you tried here:

http://forums.techguy.org/smartsearch/?q=projection&forumchoice=Do+It+Yourself+Projects

But need more info like model of TV.

I repaired my rear projection TV by soldering two convergence chips and two burnt resistors. Soldering on a board is not for the untrained with crappy tools.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#182584 - 01/23/10 09:07 PM Re: TECH SAVY PEOPLE.. I NEED HELP
Richard Candelario Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevman:
Soldering on a board is not for the untrained with crappy tools.
x2. Soldering in and of it's self isnt that hard of a thing to do. Proper heat and flow control will getcha the professional-looking results. Problem with that is if your tools are...sub-par, your temps will be all over the place, meaning you cant get a good flow, which will mean the iron hasta stay in place longer, which can and will damage your wires, which makes your job bigger. You can also damage a Plated Through-Hole board quicker than a Surface-Mount Technology board, and with more circuits damaged. That's why it's often said that consumer products are cheaper to replace than to repair. I COULD do it for ya, but I dont have that kinda time until some time next year.

EDIT: also, you gotta know what a manufacturer's twist looks like, how to clean the wire, clean the terminal, how to immobilize the component while working, and how to clean the area to prevent corrosion, arcing, shorting, and opens.

MY advice would be to replace the TV unless it has sentimental value.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#182585 - 01/24/10 03:07 PM Re: TECH SAVY PEOPLE.. I NEED HELP
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
its a 52 inch tv, i have found some sites where people will repair the fryed bords for around 275 ... i think thats better than the price of a new tv
#182586 - 01/24/10 09:24 PM Re: TECH SAVY PEOPLE.. I NEED HELP
Richard Candelario Offline
wow, ummm, I am suddenly feelin pretty sheepish. repair then! I would.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC