Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184612 - 11/18/09 10:36 PM 4 door Trans Am
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I finally buckled under to the urge today and test drove a GXP. I had to drive almost an hour to the nearest one I could find on Autotrader, but it was my day off so what the heck.

This was a black 2006 w/ebony interior and 50k on the clock. It showed a few sign of wear, but all that was minor compared to the things it boasted. I've mentioned before how much I love the turned dash panel, but actually sitting there looking back at it along with the head-up display was a sweet and nostalgic experience. Chrome and polished metal touches abound throughout the cabin, and it gives the car a well appointed feel without being gaudy. The perforated leather steering wheel and shifter handle have serious competition look and feel, and the leather/suede bucket seats cradle you, almost begging for a tight corner. The power lumbar support is a useful touch as well as the heated seat and dual zone climate control.

The DIC is loaded with settings and the sound system was top notch, but those were not the real music or toys worth playing with. From the moment you turn the key the LS4 throbs with life and its melodic exhaust note is one I have missed for far too long. The V8 and V12 engines have both cut their own notch in automotive history. The V12 being recognized as exotic symphony,but the V8 is pure muscle and that signature sound is not misplaced in this car.

To get out of my Sebring and into this 300hp beast is like going from bicycle to a rocket sled. Each push on the accelerator is rewarded with a surge of thrust along with its coordinated exhaust music. Dropping the shift lever back to manual and using the shifter paddles felt awkward at first, but they were easy to reach with my thumb and index finger and the gear number in the HUD lets you instantly see where you are. I could get into this on a twisting mountain road, big time.

Once you are sucked in by all these sensations you completely forget you're driving a sedan, as the view and feel from the command chair is one of a strike fighter as opposed to a grocery getter. Big brakes,taut suspension and robust power all beg to be put to their paces, and I can feel this car being a highway cruise missle of the lethal variety.

The Firebird and its stout sibling, the Trans Am might be long dead, but the soul of those legendary muscle cars burns once again in this last and best example of the Grand Prix. As much as I dearly love my 2001 GT, no amount of modding,save a trip to Chip Foose will bring my car up to the level of the GXP...I dont know when but I'm gonna have to get one of these.

I have long lamented the 79 T/A of my youth...driving this GXP today brought all those old feelings back to life in package made to tame the modern day world.

This is what a Trans Am looks like when its all grown up.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#184613 - 11/18/09 10:55 PM Re: 4 door Trans Am
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Hear Hear!!! Nicely put TBat... you've captured my feelings on the GP GXP nicely. smile

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#184614 - 11/19/09 07:29 PM Re: 4 door Trans Am
Richard Candelario Offline
After driving the G8 GT, I could only IMAGINE what the GP GXP felt like. You have allowed me the opportunity to experience this vicariously. But yet again, YOU BRAGGART! You got to push one of these things when I have but seen them on the road.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#184615 - 11/19/09 09:50 PM Re: 4 door Trans Am
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
Each push on the accelerator is rewarded with a surge of thrust along with its coordinated exhaust music.
Exactly how I feel when I jump in my Chevelle. A few years ago, my DD was a Saturn SL2 auto, and my wife drove a 5 spd 4.0 Jeep Wrangler. Those were three completely different vehicles to drive.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#184616 - 11/20/09 06:40 PM Re: 4 door Trans Am
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
T=Bat sounds like your headed for a new purchase ,I have'nt driven one because I probably would end up buying one if I did I hate test drives .Chico(pops)
#184617 - 11/21/09 02:58 AM Re: 4 door Trans Am
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
Buy it!
#184618 - 11/21/09 01:02 PM Re: 4 door Trans Am
Lino Offline
Loc: Memphis, TN
That makes me wish I could get one right now too!!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590135