Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186987 - 08/14/08 03:03 PM Re: Gas dropping?
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Gas is cheap in IA, always way under the national average. I think the falling prices are due to the strengthening US Dollar. We'll see how long that continues.

I wish there was more informaion about what parts of our cars would need to be replaced to allow E85. Being able to run that kind of octane at a SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper price than gasoling would be sweet.
#186988 - 08/14/08 03:25 PM Re: Gas dropping?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You'll lose out in mpg. Not worth it that's why it's not all that popular.
#186989 - 08/14/08 11:11 PM Re: Gas dropping?
Zalfrin Offline
B.S. Tune it. Yes, MPG drops, you get less energy from ethanol than you do from gasoline. However, with the cost difference, you'll more than make it up in current market. Cheaper, higher octane, less knock, more power. E85 is equivalent to race fuel if you tune properly. For half the cost.
#186990 - 08/15/08 02:33 AM Re: Gas dropping?
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by '01 GT:
[b] lol like i said in my post it seems like the cities FURTHER SOUTH have LOWER gas prices the us NORTHERNS....lol DUH pay attention GOSH!! * chicken *in napoleans voice**
There's a reason for that.

We've got ports and oil refineries in the area, that's why it's cheaper here. [/b]
Tell that to Anchorage. Oil is in AK, refined in Anchorage and they still pay the highest per gallon in the US. Higher then HI confused [/b]
Probably because there are only 7 residents in the whole state, and 3 of them are polar bears.
#186991 - 08/15/08 02:56 AM Re: Gas dropping?
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
You'll lose out in mpg. Not worth it that's why it's not all that popular.
The station where I fill up has E10 now. 1 MPG drop in mileage overall. But when I smash it to the floorboard its right there without missing a beat... So I assume it just depends on how much YOUR car likes it.

"Mr. Mom"
#186992 - 08/15/08 06:51 AM Re: Gas dropping?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
On the E85 I live in the Atlanta metro area and I have yet to see a single E85 pump. The only one I know of is 13 miles out of my way.

I'm sorry but I still don't buy the E85 can get the same as mpg as petrol. Don't you think GM would be all over the fact that their E85 vehicles get better mpg over their standard powered vehicles. If it's a tune that's all thats needed the PCMs would be tuned to take advantage.
#186993 - 08/15/08 01:50 PM Re: Gas dropping?
Zalfrin Offline
I don't know why GM doesn't market a sporty vehicle designed for E85, probably because as you say its very spotty as to where you can get it. However, for us midwesterners (Iowa and Illinois in particular), its readily available (5x more than Georgia).

I'm not suggesting E85 will give equivalent mpg to gasoline, I'm suggesting that with a properly tuned gas car and a properly tuned e85 car, because e85 is significantly cheaper than gasoline, your operating costs will be lower. Besides, racing fuel is a more accurate comparator than plain old pump gas. HUGE cost savings there.

edit: An example of whats possible with a little ingenuity: http://www.saabbiopower.co.uk/default.asp?docId=12599
#186994 - 08/15/08 02:56 PM Re: Gas dropping?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I'm surprised I don't see more E85 compatable vehicles on the road. If you look at GMs site and build a vehicle the E85 option on the ones that are available is an upgrade at 0 cost to the buyer. If I was buying new and it had the E85 option I'd buy it cause the cost difference on purchase is zip.