Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192272 - 09/14/05 10:10 AM cant figure this one...
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I was out cruising about on Monday afternoon (the weather was just too lovely) when I rolled by this used car lot on the east side of Richmond. There sat this lovely, bright white 99 Firebird V6 convertible (I know, I just cant seem to give it up) so I stopped in for a peek. I got in and found that for some reason I was not as cramped as I was in the Trans Am I had looked at before. Maybe the ragtop has a bit more headroom?...then the guy there told me that he had a very tall customer that had purchased a Camaro vert from him before and had the seat moved back (physically relocated farther back)...this one didnt have the upscale leather seating w/lumbar supports...maybe all this combines for little more room...not to mention how impressed I was by the L36 under the hood...hearing that same growl like in the T-Bat and knowing that it probably gets just as good gas mileage (I still would like the exhaust to be alittle louder)...I came away thinking maybe I can still swing having a Firebird parked next to my GP at home...maybe I've just been looking at the wrong ones.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#192273 - 09/14/05 12:20 PM Re: cant figure this one...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Might as well go ahead and buy it, you're going to end up with one soon anyway. crazy lol

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#192274 - 09/14/05 01:17 PM Re: cant figure this one...
ThunderBat Offline
gotta finishing paying for my hunny's Montana first...and some more mods to the T-Bat...I just wanna know what I'm hunting for when I do get ready to plunk down the cash...I'm only 3-4 years away from my pension on my present job, so I wanna make sure I get the kind of toy I'm gonna be able to live with for the long haul.

#192275 - 09/14/05 02:33 PM Re: cant figure this one...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I can't wait to get mine paid off. I've got 2 more years, then I'm going to start looking for a used 05 GTO. laugh

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#192276 - 09/14/05 02:47 PM Re: cant figure this one...
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
I can't wait to get mine paid off. I've got 2 more years, then I'm going to start looking for a used 05 GTO. laugh
I've got 2 more years as well. Maybe then I can afford to start modding.

I don't want to sell my car for a long time.
#192277 - 09/14/05 03:17 PM Re: cant figure this one...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
In 2 years, perhaps I can afford a L67 swap. crazy

In all seriousness, for the price of a swap, I can add a couple thousand and own a 2000~ Firebird or Camaro.
#192278 - 09/14/05 05:48 PM Re: cant figure this one...
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
one problem with the v6 firebird though is i am having trouble finding parts for it since everyone wants Trans AM parts and not that many companies are making parts for the v6. no

#192279 - 09/14/05 11:17 PM Re: cant figure this one...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:
one problem with the v6 firebird though is i am having trouble finding parts for it since everyone wants Trans AM parts and not that many companies are making parts for the v6. no
that is the EXACT problem 3100 GPers face, in relation to 3800 parts/availability

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#192280 - 09/15/05 01:18 AM Re: cant figure this one...
ThunderBat Offline
I've noticed the lack of aftermarket parts for the V6 bird myself while I've been websurfing various parts sites...I guess the upside would be that I'm pretty happy with the performance and mileage I'm getting now, so I dont think I'd be modding the birds engine too much...on the other hand if you get a T/A, I've read a few claims that the LS1 w/6spd will knock down 28-30mpg hi-way (I think the CAFE rating is 28 hiway) while packing an additional 140hp...but in all honesty (and I know I've said this before) If I could get some sort of open top conversion done (targa or T-top) I'd snap up a nice GTP in a hot minute...but no body shop I've talked to anywhere around here will even consider such a project...it seems all those kind of places are in SoCal and require a home mortgage to pay for them...so thats a fantasy instead of a dream...while the ragtop bird seems reachable...I wanna love my second car as much as I do my T-Bat.