Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193105 - 07/11/05 06:44 AM convertible fever..part 2
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
My wife and I were both off this past weekend and we had thought about heading to the beach or the lake and renting a boat...travel plans didnt pan out so we decided to stick around local for the day. Then I thought, for the money I would have spent to rent a boat for a day or even a half day, I could rent a convertible for the weekend and really see what its like to own one of these little numbers. I checked and Richmond Airport had a Chrysler Sebring vert. I put the T-Bat in long term parking and we headed out. Its no powerhouse for sure but it was decent performance wise...but man I could get used to this open air thing!...not as my only car I think but as a second for sure. we racked up a few miles and I have to take it back this morning. i am sun and windburned to all hell, but the smile on my face is wide. top down cruising at night is just plain sweet...I wont trade the T-Bat for one, but when I get her van paid off I think the driveway is gonna get a ragtop...she seems to have put her stamp of approval on this one, she laid back the seat and sunned herself while we rode and really liked the star gazing at night. I found more back and side roads in the past two days than I've ridden in years and it was a blast...interstates arent much fun (and much hotter)...I may have to do this again in the fall...maybe a mountain parkway cruise...for no more bucks than a GoldWing or a Harley, I'll take the ragtop...I'm sure I'll be able to find a good used one.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#193106 - 07/11/05 07:54 AM Re: convertible fever..part 2
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
We once rented a Sebring for a weekend and loved not having a top and I do agree with you on the highway part the back roads are much more fun. It's funny yesterday the wife and I were talking about wouldn't it be cool if the GP had a T top and then went into discussing the next car we buy for her to use when she starts school full time and we are considering that new G6 with the sliding roof panels or the full vert. We are hoping to be in souther CA when that happens so that's why we're leaning towards the sliding panels because of the crime rate.
#193107 - 07/11/05 08:56 AM Re: convertible fever..part 2
ThunderBat Offline
I can understand that for sure...and I think that vert hardtop is a great idea cuz I have seen more than one soft-top that has been sliced into and the repairs dont tend to be cheap...another reason I dont want one for my sole ride...there is also a ChryCo dealer near here that has a rental dept...next time I might have to check out that PT Cruiser Turbo (somehow I dont see GM putting the G6 droptop into the rental fleet)

#193108 - 07/11/05 05:01 PM Re: convertible fever..part 2
BTC13 Offline
Loc: Neptune Beach, FL
I had two 89 Lebaron convertibles from 89 until last year and they were a blast. One was a Turbo II 5 speed, the other a Turbo I auto. I really miss dropping the top for fun cruising. At least the Shelby has T-Tops.
1994 Ford Mustang
1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T II(putting back together)
#193109 - 07/11/05 05:07 PM Re: convertible fever..part 2
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
But I have a bike to enjoy the open road on smile
#193110 - 07/11/05 06:05 PM Re: convertible fever..part 2
ThunderBat Offline
I just got back from the airport and dropping off the rental...getting back into my car was a real experience...the GP's cockpit is so much more comfortable and when I turned the key and the exhaust came throbbing to life, I realized just how quiet the droptop was...my car suddenly felt like a muscular beast...so much more responsive and quick...its a shame that no one (except the exotics) makes a roomy, larger than compact convertible...I think the new mustang might come close and I understand ChryCo is suppose to be bringing a 300C vert in another year...a two door so they say (and possibly a sister Charger soft top as well)...at any rate, its good to have the T-Bat back home...I even treated him to a tank of premium for waiting so patiently.

#193111 - 07/14/05 12:34 AM Re: convertible fever..part 2
Jason2002GT Offline
Loc: Fargo North Dakota
A couple months ago, my sister was looking at getting a sebring convertible. She went on-line and found two at a dealership by Minneapolis. We went down to take them for a test drive. She had already talked to her banker and the financing was pre-approved. We test drove a 98 and an 01. She drove home a 2005 Electric Blue PT Cruiser/turbo. She loves it. My brother use to own a 98 sebring convertible and driving around with the top down is a blast. The chics dig it!! LOL If I was purchasing one, I probably buy the PT Cruiser.

Jason 2002GT/u-bend delete/SLP muffs
#193112 - 07/14/05 06:00 AM Re: convertible fever..part 2
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
Jason, that is the way it always starts out. You go looking for one type car with every intention of getting it and then suddenly are driving out in another. That is how I bought my Bonneville SSEi. I was actually looking for a Grang Prix GTP and the salesman said... yeah, we have one in the back. It was the Bonneville. I WISH I could have paid GTP price for it, but alas, I was in love and the money didn't matter too much. smile
#193113 - 07/14/05 12:34 PM Re: convertible fever..part 2
ThunderBat Offline
I was reading today over at Allpar.com that DailmerChrysler was planning on a short wheelbase LX car (Magnum/Charger/300C) to replace the Sebring, but it may get cut now due to cost considerations, and thats sad because there was also rumor of a Dodge coupe version to be called the Challenger. What ever the outcome, both Chrysler and GM far behind Ford for offering a sporty, affordable convertible. I keep seeing Mustang ragtops everywhere! while the only thing on the horizon with GM is the Solstice/Sky and the G6 droptop (neither of which has V8/rwd option)...if ChryCo drops the ball on this one, Ford is gonna be all alone in the ponycar/ragtop market.

#193114 - 07/14/05 12:46 PM Re: convertible fever..part 2
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
TBAT, what part of Virginia are you from? I get to Reston/Herndon now and again. smile
#193115 - 07/14/05 03:11 PM Re: convertible fever..part 2
ThunderBat Offline
I'm about 30 miles south of Richmond ina little place called Colonial Heights...Reston/Herndon is about a two hour hike from here...love the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly Va.