Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207363 - 01/16/07 07:18 PM Brakes
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Driving my car today, I noticed that when I hit the brakes somewhat hard I heard a grinding noise. Almost felt like ABS. My car doesn't have ABS...so that wasn't it. Brakes feel strange and when I get home I smell something burning. Not something I wanted to smell frown . Start smelling each tire...got the right front (where the noise was coming from) and feel a ton of heat rolling off of it and a burning smell. Take off the tire and looked around. Outer pad probably has 50% or so left...inner bad...well...I didn't see an inner pad anymore. Just a black thing that looked like what the pad should be mounted on. Kind of sad right now...probably will be needing new rotars and calipers. What makes me a little mad is my brakes were checked out probably 5k miles ago and had new rear ones put on then. Fronts were at 50%. Just had new front tires put on, which means they were working up there. Would of thought they would have bothered to look at my brakes. O'well...not going there any more any way.

Jesse
#207364 - 01/16/07 11:07 PM Re: Brakes
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Did you ask them to look at your brakes? If not, then why should they? Usually you can only see the outer one without a lot of effort anyway.
#207365 - 01/17/07 10:52 PM Re: Brakes
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I'm happy smile Turned out, I was lucky enough to get a stick or something stuck just right so it was rubbing on my tire. There's a mark on the tire's inside wall that goes all the way around. That was the burnt smell. I still have 50% on the both inside and outside pad. I just didn't look at it right apprently. O'well...plus the shop I go to now did it for free.

As for not looking at the brakes, when I do something for a friends car/truck, I'll check out other things too. Wired up a friends foglights, but while I was under the hood checked his oil and other fluids.