Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207668 - 05/11/07 10:52 AM Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
20gtp02 Offline

#207669 - 05/11/07 12:05 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
here's hoping that their city goes to ruin with unemployment...how the heck can someone in India give a rat's pitut about what goes on in a california community...I am so absolutely sick to death of hearing about cheaper labor costs from overseas when all it means is some corporate so&so doesnt want to cut into his precious profits...HE is very happy to make money in this country as long as they dont have to share it with those that do the freakin work!
If we keep outsourcing so much and giving access to all sorts of our information...gee one wonders how terrorists can be so well informed.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#207670 - 05/11/07 01:10 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Only a matter of time before India outsources that to the Philippines.
#207671 - 05/11/07 02:08 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
so how many years would it take to come back to us? haha
#207672 - 05/11/07 03:42 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
Outsourcing, depending on your view point, isnt necessarily a bad thing. The computer that you're using is a product of outsourcing. The car you drive, outsourcing. The clothes you wear, outsourcing. People usually only start paying attention when outsourcing is threatening their job.

Outsourcing takes many of the manufactoring jobs but replaces them with white collar jobs. Takes a lot of people to manage a work force thats half way around the world. The reduced labor costs are passed along to you in the form of lower prices.

The downside is you do lose jobs, many of them. Something like 40 million people in the US are currently at risk of losing their jobs to outsourcing. Technology is a double edged sword. Companies are realizing they dont need a call center in the same building or even the same country anymore. The jobs that are created from outsourcing are typically lower paying than before. The new positions are managing lower paid workers so the management positions have to take a pay cut. Economists say that because there are lower prices, the lower wages break even when you look at purchasing power.

Personally, I think that outsourcing (shipping jobs to a cheaper country) is a terrible move on a companies part. The investors that demand that a company do anything possible to increase the bottom line only exasperates the problem.

Like it or not, outsourcing is here to stay and there is very little anyone can do about it. Becoming part of a global marketplace means some people with hurt while others prosper.
#207673 - 05/11/07 03:42 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I'd give it a few years before this stuff starts cycling back.
#207674 - 05/11/07 06:43 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
I'd like to post a link to "Foamy the Squirrel: Tech-Support Ep. 57."

But the language is too much for this site.

If you know Foamy, outsourcing just makes you smile.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#207675 - 05/11/07 10:51 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I watched the Foamy thing before. That was friggin hilarious, yet so true.
#207676 - 05/12/07 01:33 PM Re: Outsourcing...now this has gone too far
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Quote:
Originally posted by brown:
... Becoming part of a global marketplace means some people with hurt while others prosper.
really means "a lot of people with hurt while just a few prosper"

I don't know who is going to buy things and keep the system working when nobody earns enough money to buy them...white collars are enough to do it?

Maybe is a very simplist idea, but i can't explain it in other way

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------