Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215162 - 07/23/11 10:36 AM Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.?
Chance Huey Offline
I own a 97 Black GTP(Coupe), with only 66k miles. I want to know witch mufflers are better to get Cherry's or Flow's. Then again I dont know the demensions for the Cherry's. But I seen a few people have Cherry's on there GP's. Let me know what ya think. Thanks!
-Huey GTP
#215163 - 07/23/11 12:04 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Best bet leave it stock.

Are cherry bombs are glass packed Iirc. After a couple years they'll need replaced because the glass gets blown out of them.
#215169 - 07/23/11 12:48 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
They're all going to sound terrible.
#215174 - 07/23/11 01:26 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
Richard Candelario Offline
agreed with both. I have a CAI, HV3, and 2.5" d/p with h/f cat and u-bend del, and this car sounds MEAN as is. Add the whine from the blower, and it can't be beat. Flows are way too free-flowing for these cars and would make the car buzz and sound like rice. Cherrybombs are the same, but the fiberglass goes away and loses effectiveness, thus sounding like garbage. Use OE muffs, resonator (res), and a slightly larger downpipe. If you're blown, use a 3" exhaust.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#215178 - 07/23/11 04:15 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
The flowmasters sound pretty decent in my opinion if ran with a res. Magnaflows sounds pretty good too, not as loud as a flowmaster 40, and they don't have much of a buzz when new. I don't have a resonator and ran them for awhile.

My magnaflows blew out after several years on my Monte Carlo (same 3800 exhaust setup as these) so I cut the muffs off and got some Summit Racing street and strip mufflers and I'm quite pleased. They buzz a little right now, but I still don't have a resonator. Those muffs with a resonator should give you a little rumble at idle, decent sound on acceleration, and shouldn't cause a headache. Just be sure the tail pipes go past the rear bumper, otherwise they will buzz something fierce.
#215184 - 07/23/11 08:44 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Flowmaster 40's with resonated tips sound good to me.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#215203 - 07/25/11 05:38 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
DawsTheHaus Offline
Loc: Michigan
Cherry bombs for loudness and flowmasters for nice rumbling sound. cherry bombs dont last long tho. i straight piped mine with a resonator and muffler delete and its bad ass. it gives it more of a muscle car sound
#215245 - 07/27/11 01:35 PM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
It may sound good for a little while, but all that noise will get old. My debacle over exhaust on my GP was well documented and I'll never go through that again.

I finally settled on Summit Racing Fully Welded Mufflers, which offer a great price, a chambered design to control the unwanted drone at highway speeds, and enough sound to let you know its there.

My Bonneville has the 2.5 downpipe w/hi-flow cat and the rest of the system is stock. The car is very quiet at idle (which I'm going to change) but I do have to admit it belts out a healthy bark at WOT. I'm leaning toward Thrush Turbos.

Staight thru mufflers and the 3800 engine just dont mix.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#215254 - 07/28/11 12:30 AM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: Chance Huey]
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Flowmasters with stock manifolds might be ok... With headers, it was horrible. I have since went to Dynomax Turbo muffs, and it's still more than I prefer with headers. I think I'll be having a hushpower installed at some point as a resonator.

Headers throw everything out of whack when it comes to exhaust note. frown
#215257 - 07/28/11 10:19 AM Re: Cherry Bombs or Flowmasters.? [Re: RooK]
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted By: RooK
Flowmasters with stock manifolds might be ok... With headers, it was horrible. I have since went to Dynomax Turbo muffs, and it's still more than I prefer with headers. I think I'll be having a hushpower installed at some point as a resonator.

Headers throw everything out of whack when it comes to exhaust note. frown

Flowmasters with stock manifolds, resonator and resonated tips sound good. But once the resonator or the tips are gone the drone is annoying.