Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26517 - 08/27/04 10:33 PM U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
OK, here's the deal. I decided to go ahead and do the u-bend delete, so I brought it to a local shop. It's a pretty know shop and a member of the BBB, which really don't mean crap anymore. Oh, and ASE certified. I didn't buy the prefab piece, but rather had them put in a piece and weld in a nut for the O2 sensor. They cut off the u-bend, and couldn't get the O2 sensor out and said I would need a new one. I said ok and asked them how much they could get me one for. (((Take note, I checked prices a few weeks back because I was going to replace them.))) He got on the phone for a minute, hung up, and told me $175 plus tax. HA HA HA HA I asked where the hell that was from and he said "his supplier". What a crock. So my car on the lift and the pipe cut in half, I called up someone to go to the parts store and bring one to me. COST= $75 with tax. What was up with that??? After he was done he charged me 30 bucks for material and 60 bucks for labor. Guess that was a fair price.. What did everyone else pay to have it done??? But the best part about it....I asked to have the U-bend they cut out with the O2 sensor in it...took it home, and it was LOOSE. They said it was stuck and couldn't turn it. They just wasnted to make a sale and a huge profit on parts! So there!!!! Shops do cheat and lie...I Know someone on here, no names, said shops don't do that. They take responsibility for things. Some do, and some suck ass and try to rip you off. mad mad
hammer hammer hammer with no u-bend now!
#26518 - 08/27/04 10:39 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I bought mine from PFYC, paid $75 to have it installed.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#26519 - 08/28/04 05:13 AM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
You should have asked some advice before replacing your rear 02 i have found that most rear o2 are rusted in ,but with reasonable care you can cut around the bung then cut a hole in your replacement pipe and weld it in since it only monitors cat efficientcy, if it does set a ses light a simple 100k resistor will fix the problem.Total cost of a U-bend replacement should not be more than $50 including parts and labour.
#26520 - 08/28/04 08:23 AM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Also, from what Ive read they needed to remove the O2 before they heated it up and cut it off and should have installed it AFTER they rewelded it all up. Ive read (dont know how true) that the heat from the torch will pretty much fuse the 02 in its bung.

You could have also bought an 02 simulator from pyfc for $45. As chico said it just monitors the cat.

I got the replacement pipe from PYFC and had it installed for $60
#26521 - 08/28/04 03:25 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
TexasGP Offline
The O2 sensor was loose when they let me take it home, so they could have just re-used it. They just wanted me to buy one from them with a way marked up price. So, the one that should be replaced is the front, if there was a choice between the front and rear? I was at the hospital out of town with my son when I had it done, so I didn't know what shops were good.
Guess I'll just wait til I get back to my hometown to replace the muffler....
#26522 - 08/28/04 05:21 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
I did a U-bend delete -- cost me $25,000 smile
#26523 - 08/28/04 06:48 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
lol

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#26524 - 08/29/04 01:20 AM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
techron Offline
Loc: cleveland, ohio
Mine. I bought the stright tube from Advance Auto Parts and went to Sears Hardware and found a nut to fit the O2 Sensor. Cut a whole and welded it my self and welded it in place my self with the brackets. Cost = Under $10

I feel like the PFYC is a crock of shit and is over priced for what it is.

#26525 - 08/29/04 09:33 AM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
If I had a welder I'd do the same thing.
#26526 - 08/29/04 11:53 AM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
TexasGP Offline
I woulda done the same if I was closer to home...WOW tech...why dont you make 'em and sell 'em for half of PYFC. Thats is why I didn't buy one......too much for something that can be made, look the same, and cost less. thumbsup
#26527 - 08/29/04 12:47 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
techron Offline
I'd need to goto the junk yard and go pilf 20 flanges and hangers. But! it could be done! PFYC better watch out!!
#26528 - 08/29/04 10:31 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
good job on the welding tech, i thought about doing it myself, but i didn't feel like doing, and i think that the shop only charged me $35 to put the pipe they made in.

but something happened to the o2 sensor. i think it was at to much of an angle and it screwed it up or something, ended up having to replace the sensor, and i just had them reweld the u-bend back in. didn't like the pipe they put in, wasn't done properly and it would scrape sometimes.
dhp 1.0
#26529 - 08/29/04 11:12 PM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
techron Offline
it was difficult to flex the entire exhaust system down to get it welded up on top. But it worked out nice.
#26530 - 08/30/04 09:13 AM Re: U-Bend Delete---and SOME shops do cheat.
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
dam foreign jobbies, parts for that yugo are expensive and hard to find. does it haul ass though??
laugh
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner