Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27522 - 01/01/06 09:03 AM First brake pad job
schwinnbobb Offline
Loc: Columbus OH
Hi guys:

Finally got a chance to replace my front pads on my 00 GTP. Got one side done and it was nice and easy. I have a couple questions though: In the pad instructions it says it is CRITICAL to use the new clips. I bought Delco Durastop ceramic pads and the clips are identical except for one little ear that clamps (?) against the caliper that the new ones do not have. This seems like it could be important so I used the old clips. Anybody have any imput on how important it actually is to use the new clips? Here is a total novice question, don't laugh, I understand that the piston clamps the pads against the rotor to brake but what causes them to release? Thanks for any help
Bob
#27523 - 01/01/06 10:01 AM Re: First brake pad job
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Yes you should use new clips. That tab on the old clips is a wear indicator. Clips tend to lose their springyness and may let the new pads fall off.

As to how the brakes work. When you let off the brake instead of pressure pushing you now have a vacuum pulling. It's not much but it's enough to take the friction off the rotor.
#27524 - 01/01/06 12:01 PM Re: First brake pad job
joemn Offline
Loc: maple grove, mn
disc brakes are hydraulic. pushing on the brake pedal forces fluid into the piston chamber in the caliper and presses the pad against the rotor and you stop. the brake pad really does not retract away from the rotor and actually rubs against it. it has some friction but not a lot. drum brakes are also forced out by a piston but they have a return spring that pulls the shoes away from the drums.
#27525 - 01/01/06 12:19 PM Re: First brake pad job
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I just changed my front pads the other night, Hawk ceramics.
There was no clips included and I just used my old clips.
The wear indicator clips were attached to the outbard pads, not the clips. Old pads I took off also had the wear indicators on the outboard pads too.
Maybe it's a different design (new/improved?).

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#27526 - 01/01/06 03:27 PM Re: First brake pad job
MikesGTP Offline
Loc: Oxford, CT
There's actually a square cut seal that brings the piston back when hydraulic pressure is released.