Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28215 - 02/27/10 10:21 AM Thanks for the help w/LIM fix
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
We finally got it put back together Thursday and it started it up and everything seemed to run good and had no leaks to be seen!

I wanted to switch over to the green antifreeze, but the car already had almost 200k on the dexcool and looking down in the radiator, it had all the gunk and stuff stuck to it that you could see. I tried to run water over it, but it just didn't want to come off off. I have never used a flush kit, didn't think it did anything but flush it anyways, so I did not worry about doing that. I ran water thru the top of the block and let it drain out the bottom to get any debris or loose stuff to come out also! We had a whole gallon of Dexcool too, so we will just change it more often if the car makes it that long or get something else.

Also, went ahead and just tuned it up while we were at it, and put new Autolite 605's in it, got the Belden spark plug wires replaced under warranty, and also got the gates belts replaced under warranty so we saved some money there! The idler pulley had broke a few days before starting work on the car so we got that fixed up too! Cleaned the throttle body and the egr valve also while I was at it.

I able to get all the plastic hard lines and rubber tees that broke or cracked when messing with them on removal fixed with rubber hose, plastic tees and adapters!

I know there are other things this car needs and struts are probably next on the agenda, but I just wanted to say thanks for the help yall gave me with getting the car fix!

One thing though I have not found is the best way to get the air out of the system. Do you need to run it for a while and then open the bleeder with the car off or do you open the bleeder while it is hot and running? All the air might be out by now, but still need to try to bleed it the right way one more time.
dhp 1.0
#28216 - 02/27/10 10:30 AM Re: Thanks for the help w/LIM fix
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
open the bleeder, start the engine, run until you see fluid coming out the bleeder, close bleeder, turn off engine, done.
#28217 - 02/28/10 11:32 PM Re: Thanks for the help w/LIM fix
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
I've found it takes a couple times to get all of the air out of the system. Even after you do it once there still could be some air trapped. After my engine tear down last year it took me a few days to get all of the air completely out.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#28218 - 03/01/10 07:52 AM Re: Thanks for the help w/LIM fix
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
run the vehical under a few light-mid throttle birps, helps the wp pull the vaccum to fill the air pockets