Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30184 - 06/08/06 01:19 PM Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Hey guys. Been reading all sorts of GP forums, and I like this one the best so far, so I joined. I have a little problem, actually 2 little problems.
1. my key doesn't come out of the ignition, until I hit that little button in the steering column. I have already replaced the lock and key tumbler, and the sylonoid that the little button is attached to in the column. The damn thing still gets stuck, every time. Anyone else have this problem????

2. My low coolant light is constantly on. I checked fluid levels, obviously all good, and the damn light is still on. My eng. temp. never gets over 180, and the car runs great. The light is just a little anoying, and my wife, who is the lucky one who gets do drive the car on a daily basis, thinks the car has something wrong w/ it, it any kind of light is on. Any suggestions, or anyone have the same problem

Any help/advice would be great.

tks.
#30185 - 06/08/06 04:54 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Richard Candelario Offline
Have you looked at the little rubber piece that is the cover on your gear shift selector? That rubber piece that covers the "trigger" often gets wedged into the plastic/leather gear shift knob cover. Boy, I wish I had a manual on CD to more clearly illustrate what I'm talking about. As for the coolant light, I haven't the foggiest.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#30186 - 06/08/06 04:55 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
just a shot in the dark:

1) That is a saftey feature that can not be disabled (being able to take the key out without pushing the button). What I would do if this bothers you is take the steering column apart and figure out what the button connects to and permanently make it to the "pushed" state.

2) you probably have a bad coolant sensor that can be cheaply and easily replaced
#30187 - 06/08/06 05:04 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Kansas GXP Offline
Chunkee,
Not talking about the normal function of the key. It doesn't function normal. I have to push the little button, that is an over ride button inside the steering column, to get my key out, after the car is already off. Good thought on disabeling it though, maybe I will put some tape on that switch, to see if that works for my key comming out correctly.

I have heard about the coolant sensor, I guess I could pull one off of a GP here on our lot.

tks.
#30188 - 06/08/06 09:34 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
the coolant is probably that little cheap sensor.

I have no idea on the key thing.
#30189 - 06/08/06 10:07 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
I've cleaned a few low coolant sensors with brake cleaner and compressed air to solve the light problem. It's located right below the fill neck and is easiest to get at by removing the passenger headlight. Make sure the car is cool and be prepared to lose some coolant.

The key stuck is something that I'm unfamiliar with. I know there are 2 scenarios that will cause the problem. Dead battery, and shifter not in park. Since you aren't experiencing either of those issues, there are several ways to go with that... I would start with the switch at the shifter, make sure it's functioning properly.

http://pdxcgp.com
#30190 - 06/08/06 11:33 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I've only had my key stick when I've had battery problems. It's possible the ignition switch could control that as well (the box piece with all the wires behind the steering column). That's a guess though.
#30191 - 06/09/06 07:41 AM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
robrbert Offline
Loc: hayfield mn
I do believe the problem is whats called the btsi, brake trans shift interlock solinoid im pretty sure it part of the shifter and cannot be replaced without buying the whole shifter assm but yes there is a button on the colloum that you could rig to be always pressed in to make the key come out
#30192 - 06/09/06 08:47 AM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Kansas GXP Offline
Thanks for the Ideas guys. I looked here @ work and we have a computer program that you just type in what is wrong w/ you car, and it tells you possible fixes. I guess there is some type of adjustment w/ the shift cable that goes to the tranny. The computer program thought that this would be my best bet to try, beings that I have tried the other things.

I will give it a shot this weekend, and let everyone know what I find out.

tks.
#30193 - 06/09/06 12:25 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
if you didnt remove the tranny or anything like that, then the shift cable should not need to be adjusted, you only should have to adjust that when you remove the tranny or anything of that sort
#30194 - 06/09/06 05:28 PM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Kansas GXP Offline
I just talked to a friend that is a mechanic for 20+yrs. at a local GM dealership. He said he thinks it is the bitsey sylonoid. There is a cable from the shifter, to the brake pedal that can get mis alligned over time. He thinks that it just needs to be adjusted. When I shove the car in park really hard, most of the time it will then give me my key back. This is why he thinks it is some type of adjustment w/ the shift linkage or cable or that sylonoid.
#30195 - 06/12/06 01:59 AM Re: Key stuck in ignition, already tired the obvious. Help Please
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
hello, Im referring to one of your post which you was talking about the cabin air filter, I guessing its the white/beige looking plastic under the vent by the front windshield, I know my mother has one in her ford taurus which I replace for her