Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30595 - 06/23/06 07:38 PM Performace shift not working
SteveOGTP Offline
Loc: reynoldsburg, ohio
Hey guys I never knew it but I guess were the boost gauge is the performance shift lite is supposed to light up and so is the one in the dash... neither of them are turrning on and I was wondering how big of a difference the performace shift makes... can you really tell when it is on and off... if so is this a usawall problem?
#30596 - 06/23/06 07:47 PM Re: Performace shift not working
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Do you have the button pushed in?

I don't think the light in the dash will light up. I think that's for canadian models only, or something like that. If you want it to light up, all you need to do is put a bulb in it.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#30597 - 06/23/06 08:28 PM Re: Performace shift not working
SteveOGTP Offline
Yea I have the button pushed in but to tell you the truth I cant tell any differnece can you
\
I was thinking nthe bulb was out
#30598 - 06/23/06 09:30 PM Re: Performace shift not working
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
The light in the Instrument Cluster illuminates on the '98s. It doesn't illuminate in the DIC on the '98s.

All others with PS illuminate in the DIC only, not the IC.

Disclaimer, if you have a '98 that illuminates in the DIC, you aren't alone, but it is unusual.... I believe some of the first '98s may have the DIC indicator, but not many.

http://pdxcgp.com
#30599 - 06/23/06 09:36 PM Re: Performace shift not working
SteveOGTP Offline
mostly I just wanna know if there is really a big diffence or not between the performance shit or not
#30600 - 06/23/06 10:38 PM Re: Performace shift not working
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveOGTP:
mostly I just wanna know if there is really a big diffence or not between the performance shit or not
If you are like me.... If you hear things, and feel things and see things that other people don't, than you will notice a difference between the switch being on and off..... If you aren't, than you won't.
That is if you have a stock PCM.... IF you have a reprogrammed PCM, there can be a pretty dramatic difference.

http://pdxcgp.com
#30601 - 06/23/06 11:11 PM Re: Performace shift not working
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
When I had my oem PCM I could tell a difference, it was slight, but I could tell.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#30602 - 06/24/06 07:15 AM Re: Performace shift not working
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I could only tell when under WOT. Mine isn't working right now and I found my bulb is burnt out. I have yet to replace the bulb but my thinking is the bulb is in series and if the bulb is burnt it opens the circuit and no more perf shift.

Pull the dash apart and replace the bulb. If you do this before the middle of July let me know how it worked for you.
#30603 - 06/24/06 12:50 PM Re: Performace shift not working
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I took a look in the powertuner stock bin files to find the differences.
Surprisingly, the shift pressure tables were identical for normal and performance mode. I could swear they were different. Either way, if you had a DHP pcm, the shift pressures on performance mode would definetly be upped. Max right now is 80psi... max possible is 90-something, which is what they'd use at high throttle.

What I DID find different, is that the commanded shift_times were different. This just tells the transmission to make the shift faster. That reduces clutch wear, but if you make tons of power, puts your hard parts at risk.

Heres a screen shot of the shift times for 1-2nd gear.

2-3rd is also similarly different.
#30604 - 07/01/06 02:15 PM Re: Performace shift not working
S/C GT Offline
Loc: Ft. Wayne
I noticed a difference in the GT with the rockers and the DHP. like DHP says, in perf shift mode, you will shift at like 6200-6300. They were not lying. That and the tranny pressure is higher. Those are the only differences i noticed, other than it shifing firmer.
#30605 - 07/02/06 01:06 PM Re: Performace shift not working
SteveOGTP Offline
well thanks everyone but I came up with a funny story here.... my hud would dim whenever it wanted but I know what the problem is with that so I was in my friends driveway and it dimed so I hit my hud and it came back on... it dimed about 10 minutes later so I hit it again and my performace shit light came on and so I click the button and it went out and now It works perfectly fine no problems in 2 days... good cheap solution lol
#30606 - 07/03/06 04:38 AM Re: Performace shift not working
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Your HUD has a solder joint going loose. There is a fix for it. Can't quite remember if I have it on my site or if I saw it somewhere.
#30607 - 07/06/06 09:27 PM Re: Performace shift not working
SteveOGTP Offline
yea I know i have papers on it from clubgp on how to fix it but It has worked fine since