Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42883 - 11/29/06 11:18 PM engine vibration (mount replace?)
rocketman Offline
Loc: Rockledge, Florida
For the past couple of weeks, there has been a daily increase in vibration in my 98 GT engine bay. At a stop light for example, putting the car in neutral reduces vibration. I can also feel vibration in the passenger seat (when I'm not driving) at a stop light. Car is bone stock, about 156k miles, I recently serviced transmission (fluid, filter) and it appeared ok. Smoother shifting after service. I've scoured engine bay looking for obvious sources - and there don't appear to be any I can identify. After looking through other posts on the list, I'm wondering if engine mounts need replacing.

Any way to determine w/o a doubt that mounts need replacing, and if so, what is best/cheapest source for parts?

Thanks in advance.
#42884 - 11/30/06 08:34 AM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
might be the tranny mount.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#42885 - 11/30/06 06:25 PM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Look for cracks, missing pieces etc.
#42886 - 11/30/06 09:25 PM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
rocketman Offline
Anyone by chance have a few photos showing the location of the trans mount? I must be blind, I'm only seeing the engine mount on the right (passeneger) side of the car under the oil pan.

Thanks in advance.
#42887 - 12/01/06 05:19 PM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The Tranny mounts is on the Driers side right next to the axle. If you take your tire off and remove the plasic cover rite behind it, you will see the tranny mount. When I did mine and took them out, the tranny mount was in half and the einge mount was gone too. I would change over to the solid engine mount and tranny mount for ZZP.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#42888 - 12/03/06 02:48 PM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
rocketman Offline
Thanks for the details. I'll take a look.
#42889 - 12/04/06 11:40 PM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
rocketman Offline
I can get a solid trans mount and engine mount from a local parts store - so I'm thinking about replacing both of these myself on my '98 GT. I have ramps, quite a few 6-ton jack stands, and a 3-ton floor jack.

Since this is my daily driver, I can't affort to mess this up, so any insight into the following would help:

1) How much time should I expect to take to complete the work (I'm pretty handy)?

2) I don't have an engine hanger, so what's the best way to get the engine elevated and supported so I can replace the mounts.

3) Would it be better to invest in an engine hanger, and if so, where can I get one and what do they cost (not talking engine hoist here, but the device that mounts to the strut towers)?

4) Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
#42890 - 12/05/06 05:24 AM Re: engine vibration (mount replace?)
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Your mounts can be changed in a couple of hours,and you can rent an engine lift pretty cheap,this also would be a good time to inspect your oil pan for leaks (most leak) .Chico.