Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47049 - 10/04/06 10:22 PM tunning
SteveOGTP Offline
Loc: reynoldsburg, ohio
what is the best way to tune your car.... is there a easy to use program that you use throu a laptop or is there even a easier way?
#47050 - 10/04/06 10:58 PM Re: tunning
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Two DIY options:
HP Tuners ($500 i think) or DHP Power Tuner ($400)

I use the power tuner. There is no easy way of doing things. You have to have a decent understanding of whats going on, do LOTS of reading and learning, and be very careful! In other words, make sure you're motivated enough to dive in head first and be interested enough in learning this.
Personally I feel like theres still a TON I don't know. The power tuner owner's forum is a great place to hang around and learn a lot.

Basically, the way it works, is you connect your laptop to the car, have the PT software loaded and cable connected. You read the PCM into the computer and its saved as a file. You can then open your file up in the PCM editor to make all sorts of changes to countless parameters. By no means does it tune your car for you! You have to know what you're doing to decide what to make changes to based on the other part of tuning: scanning. Scanning is basically hooking up the laptop and running the software in scan mode while driving around (like a maniac if you're WOT tuning). You take readings from things like your MAF, RPM, KR, O2, MAP, fuel trims, etc.... to decide what to change and how much to change it. There are a few spreadsheets and programs out for tuners that simplify the calculations, but you still have to know exactly whats going on.
#47051 - 10/05/06 09:35 AM Re: tunning
SteveOGTP Offline
Loc: reynoldsburg, ohio
I understand... I think I will wait and get the hp tunners because my friends are getting it for there cavys and Ill let them figer it out on there cars first then when they get good ill let them tune mine and I will learn with them... but there is no way they are using my car as the ginnie pig