Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57045 - 02/13/07 05:58 PM Does this sound like an alt going out ..
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/arcgp/?action=view¤t=MOV01213.flv

Crappy video, but I can't do any better with no one willing to hold the camera for me.

It started making a power-steering-pump-going-bad 'reh' noise, not the s/c 'vree' noise .. I have no mods other than a CAI, so I'm pretty positive it's not s/c whine unless there's something wrong with it, especially since I wasn't making any boost until there at the end when I gave it some gas. It doesn't really sound completely like a power steering noise, as I have heard that before, and that kind of thing sounds more like a turbo noise. lol

It does it ALL the time, and you can hear it in the car when driving. I haven't noticed any difference in driving other than the annoying-as-crap noise. Going to HACGP's mod day this weekend, so would like some possible ideas of what it could be so we're not tearing into crap that doesn't need to be torn in to.

Alt? It hasn't really done anything too spectacularly weird. Sometimes the HUD reflection is dimmer than it should be, but that's the only remotely strange thing.

Recent history .. Got a new trans last week, drove about 1500 miles this weekend to ACS and back and that's about it. 65k on it.

If it being the alt is possible, I'll go get someone to see what it's charging at.
#57046 - 02/13/07 06:11 PM Re: Does this sound like an alt going out ..
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Check you idlers and tensioner pullies on the S/C, just to rule them out.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#57047 - 02/13/07 07:25 PM Re: Does this sound like an alt going out ..
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I couldn't tell anything. It by much better if you'd get under the hood and turn the throttle linkage by hand. You can get the camera closer to the alt anyway.

Something to look for: dimming headlights when you come to a stop sign or brake for curves at night. The drop in engine rpm and use of additional accessories will usually cause a sudden flicker or voltage drop.