Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60823 - 09/11/04 11:55 AM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan R:
I heard that the 4T80-E tranny won't fit in the W-Body. It's in the new Bonny GXP though... The GTP really needs a 5 speed auto though, the gears are too far apart at certain speeds. That's why I looked at the CTS, but I couldn't find anything from GM that fit all my needs, that's why I wound up buying an Infiniti G35 Coupe. I still love my GTP though...

Why wont the 4T80-E fit in the GP's is it too big or does it not hook up the same way?

And, dont the T/A's that come with a v6 come with the 3800 series engine in it. Could the manual tranny work on the GTP's, or are all the T/A's RWD cars

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#60824 - 09/11/04 01:32 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan R:
[b]
I heard that the 4T80-E tranny won't fit in the W-Body. It's in the new Bonny GXP though... The GTP really needs a 5 speed auto though, the gears are too far apart at certain speeds. That's why I looked at the CTS, but I couldn't find anything from GM that fit all my needs, that's why I wound up buying an Infiniti G35 Coupe. I still love my GTP though...

Why wont the 4T80-E fit in the GP's is it too big or does it not hook up the same way?

And, dont the T/A's that come with a v6 come with the 3800 series engine in it. Could the manual tranny work on the GTP's, or are all the T/A's RWD cars [/b]
4T80E is too big for the Wbody GP/monte frame but it will fit the Caddie and I think the bonneville

Yes the F-body V6 is a N/A 3800 V6

The TA setup, both manual and auto is RWD not FWD so it wont work in the GP

Yes all T/As are RWD
#60825 - 09/11/04 01:33 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
The Grand Prix is FWD, so it would need a transaxle. The 3800 F-bodies are rearwheel drive, so it's a longitudinal mounted tranny, which has no hope of fitting in the GP.

I heard the 4T80-E in the old STS and new Bonny GXP don't fit, because its too wide, to fit in the engine bay of the GP. Is the Bonny GXP really that much wider? I'm not sure if its a crock or not, as I've never looked at a 4T80-E to see how big it is. I'm sure that is correct, as it wouldn't make since to detune an engine, and then put hacks in the ECM to pull back timing on shifts and such a la '04 GP, if a durable tranny were readily available...

And to answer the questions about my G35, I would've preferred 6 speed. (The 05' 6MT Coupe has 300hp), but then my wife wouldn't be able to drive, so I was relegated to a 5 speed auto. But the manual shift mode of this automatic is pretty good. It will hold all gears till redline. Fuel cut-off isn't even at redline, it's actually 400 RPM above redline. It will also readily chirp the 1-2 shift in manumatic mode.

Unlike the manumatic Lexus IS300 I test drove which was quite lethargic, and would auto shift all the gears for you even in manual mode, if you let the revs climb too high.

I was mostly just irritated that GM dropped things like Dual Zone Climate control, Auto Dimming Mirrors, etc from the GP, because I love them one in my 98. I actually really wanted the GTO. I had my heart set on it, but again, I wanted features like auto-dimming mirror, dual zone climate, sunroof, DVD Navigation, etc. (Are you listening GM?) They seem to be listening in some regards, as the interior of the new C6 Vette is nice, and finally overs navi. For the GTO, I hope they add paddle-shifters to the automatic, as even the GTP has them. Heck, they should use the 5 speed auto from the CTS. They could probably avoid the gas guzzler tax if they did that too.
#60826 - 09/11/04 10:06 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
tallpaul Offline
Loc: waukee iowa
make them so a guy my size 6ft 6in tall will fit comfy. i hate me 04 on long trips. it is the
most uncomfortable car i have ever owned to drive on a trip. damn i wish i had my 01 back !!!
1994 olds ciera s sedan
adriatic blue-drk blue interior
P195-70/R14 uniroyal tiger paw touring radials mounted on factory olds aluminum wheels.
#60827 - 09/12/04 09:01 AM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Maybe if we keep complaining about not having a 5spd auto or a 6spd manny, GM will offer it in another six years from now. Didn't the 92 have a standard?

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#60828 - 09/12/04 12:02 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Wasnt there some collaborative effort between GM and FOrd on a new 5/6 speed auto tranny? I see the new ford 500 has a 6 speed auto now. Wonder how long before GM gets off its ass to put it in their cars.

Hey BryanR, guys on the LS1GTO forum are reporting 04 GTOs being bought at some dealers for around $26,000 now. Not a bad deal if you can get it, even without all the bells and whistles.
#60829 - 09/12/04 12:02 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
GPLink Offline
Loc: Illinois
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but..

Doesn't the back of the '04 Grand Prix remind you of the older model Pontiac Sunfire? For some reason I don't like the look of the back of the car and I think that's why. It looks square like this guys head ----> square .
#60830 - 09/12/04 04:39 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
At least you can tell the difference betwwen an 04 fron the front and the back..

And what is with all the Plastic in the back of the old GP and even the old and new Bonny.

That is one of the best things I like about the new GP - on the trunk we have metal not reflective platic.
#60831 - 09/13/04 08:16 AM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
I think the point is some people dig the 04 design and some like the prev. design.Myself i like it ,and knowing gm the new design will be around for a few years,i think it will grow on people.this debate goes on everytime a major change is made in a popular body design.
#60832 - 09/13/04 09:47 AM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
I can deal if they put a 2 door into production

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#60833 - 09/13/04 10:06 AM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
digital-d Offline
Loc: New York
I asked one of the salesmen at the dealer about it a couple months after I started. He said it exactly like this:
"The reason why they discontinued the 2-door was because it wasn't selling and they didn't want to take sales away from the new GTO. For some reason they thought that by making a 2-door, the GTP model would be too much of a threat and people would buy that insted because it's cheaper. That's just a bunch of b.s."
#60834 - 09/13/04 10:06 AM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
I can deal if they put a 2 door into production
That's why I don't care too much for the 04's, no 2 door.
Nothing wrong with sedans, I just like the look of a 2 door over a 4 door.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#60835 - 09/13/04 06:15 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Quote:
Originally posted by digital-d:
I asked one of the salesmen at the dealer about it a couple months after I started. He said it exactly like this:
"The reason why they discontinued the 2-door was because it wasn't selling and they didn't want to take sales away from the new GTO. For some reason they thought that by making a 2-door, the GTP model would be too much of a threat and people would buy that insted because it's cheaper. That's just a bunch of b.s."
Sounds like fuzzy logic to me. I don't think it would steal sales from the GTO. One is a front heavy FWD, the other a near balanced rear driver. Appeals to different people. Maybe I'm not one to talk, since I did (briefly) cross shop the GTP CompG.

But that aside, a loaded GTP CompG came to 31 thousand and some change, the GTO was 34 and some change. Yeah, it's cheaper, but because the difference was this small, I ruled out the GTP, and said I might as well get the GTO. (That, and I thought the 04' GP looked rather hideous :rolleyes: )
#60836 - 09/13/04 11:01 PM Re: 04 New Style just don't cut it for me
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Why2k saw your post on the new 6 speed for the ford gt and it would do nothing for us!!!! Unless the GP goes RWD right that will not happen. As for my next car im starting to get extremely bored with my GP and will not be purchasing another GP until a 5 or 6spd manual is available. As of right now my plan is to pick up a new Manual car next summer/fall with a manual transmission. First one on list is WRX STI. I want the vette but would have to keep the GP to get the vette and i dont think i can keep the GP that long and be that board. The second option is sad to say a Neon SRT4. Looks like my pontiac days may be numbered. If they get that G6 out quick enough and it drives good and is quick it may be a contender but so far that is my plan...tired of being bored!!!!!