Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61008 - 07/11/02 12:35 PM Best Performance Bang for the Buck
Chris K. Offline
Loc: Lansing, MI
I'm looking for a new mod to pursue, so far for my '97 GT I've only done a CAI and Borla Exhaust, and I'm working on making a STB. What should I do next? My thoughts have been Tranny Cooler or Eibachs and KYB struts (anyone had success with this combo?) or Sway Bars (not necessarily in that order).
#61009 - 07/11/02 10:47 PM Re: Best Performance Bang for the Buck
JerryH Offline
Loc: Dallas, Texas (ex-Montrealer)
Hi Chris,

The combo of KYB and Eibachs has in general not been proven optimal. Though some are happy with the results, most people find it either too harsh and the pogo effects are not well controlled with the KYB shocks. A few people also have complained about the KYB's longenvity, it wasn't very good. The best way to go (if you want good handling and care more for performance rather than everyday driveability) is to get the Koni shocks (read: expen$ive).

I also was planning on doing the Eibach and new struts, but have reconsidered and plan on doing just the poly bushings all around with new front and rear struts (not sure which ones yet) and Next Level sway bars (also front and rear). This firms things up, increases handling performance and still lets the car have the clearance it needs to be an everyday family car (something that I must have in my case).

Jerry Homolka
http://syner-g.org
"The Mistress is back!"
http://syner-g.org
#61010 - 07/12/02 05:03 AM Re: Best Performance Bang for the Buck
Chris K. Offline
I'd love to hear if you find struts that work well for you, the Koni's are just too far outside of my budget for the time being. Also when you say polyurethane all around, are you talking about what's available in the GP store or more than that? Thanks for the insight.
#61011 - 07/12/02 09:22 AM Re: Best Performance Bang for the Buck
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
polyurethane bushings.

Front swaybar: 2 mid-point bushings
Front swaybar: 2 endlinks

Rear swaybar: you cannot purchase separate mid-point bushings for the stock bar. I have not heard of anyone being able to do this.

Best bang for the buck in my opinion is the rear swaybar. The rear swaybar will come with two new brackets, mid-point bushings, and a thicker swaybar. You will love how it makes the car feel more level when you are going around a turn at a high speed.
#61012 - 07/12/02 12:08 PM Re: Best Performance Bang for the Buck
Chris K. Offline
Thanks MrQuija, I look into them, I sense some suspension work in the future, afterall this is my daily driver/hobby, so I may as well go for something that will serve both purposes, i.e. polyurethane.

P.S.- awesome site you have, helped me choose the MSP CAI, even though it is a touch pricey.