Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67526 - 04/23/09 12:28 PM Re: Does this seem strange?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I had problems in my truck before I switched.

A proper coolant flush will remove enough of the old stuff. I'm talking "flush" not drain and fill.
#67527 - 04/23/09 02:24 PM Re: Does this seem strange?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by notladstyle:
where do you get your thousands number from?

a giant number of the people on this board who have switched from dexcool have had engine problems and may or may not be related to switching coolant.
I get my thousands number from Clubgp. There are tons of people over there that have done it. Look at the small population here that has done it.

How many failures have we had here due to Dexcool? LIM's, waterpumps, etc. Who is the giant number that have switched who have had any coolant related issues? I don't know any that have had one coolant related issue after switching to Dexcool, compared to the dozens of us that have had to do LIM gaskets because dexcool ate the gaskets.
#67528 - 04/23/09 07:38 PM Re: Does this seem strange?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Yea, the dex-cool made my waterpump, and lim gaskets to go out and the mechanic even said that I should swap it out and I did so I haven't had any other problems ever since other than the hose bust on my which is a regular maintenance item.
#67529 - 04/24/09 09:52 AM Re: Does this seem strange?
Richard Candelario Offline
All this discussion on Dexcool is raising my eyebrows. Over on CGP, his name is Snoopy-something. His name's Bobby and is from here in Lufkin. He, and his shop, uses Dexcool in everything that comes through the shop, and in their own cars. His car runs 11.36 AND is a DD with no issues.

Upon replacing my engine, I will be running the green stuff in the Camaro, and then flush the Dexcool out of the GP after I do my LIM/HV3.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#67530 - 04/24/09 10:22 AM Re: Does this seem strange?
TMS7 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights
I have switched from Dexcool to Ethel Glycol. I have been that way for 2 years now with no problems. When I ran Dexcool I went through a radiator, a waterpump, LIM gaskets went bad. IMO switching to Ethel Glycol does not hurt but actually helps.
#67531 - 04/24/09 11:16 AM Re: Does this seem strange?
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Man, I need to keep Dexcool out soon. I have been delay for that. I won Dexcool lawsuit about that. I need to start make a appointment to have them flush it out and add green stuff next week. I have about 33,000 miles on new coolant after new gasket replaced.
#67532 - 04/24/09 04:06 PM Re: Does this seem strange?
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
All this discussion on Dexcool is raising my eyebrows. Over on CGP, his name is Snoopy-something. His name's Bobby and is from here in Lufkin. He, and his shop, uses Dexcool in everything that comes through the shop, and in their own cars. His car runs 11.36 AND is a DD with no issues.

Upon replacing my engine, I will be running the green stuff in the Camaro, and then flush the Dexcool out of the GP after I do my LIM/HV3.
Seems to be the majority of the problems with dex cool, is that people just let it sit in there from what i hear, idk about me though lol
#67533 - 04/24/09 09:30 PM Re: Does this seem strange?
Caesar Offline
Loc: Michigan
I think the worst thing that GM did in regards to Dexcool is tell everyone that it is good for 100,000 miles. Most people in the know would never let their anti-freeze be used for that length of time. If they had said it is good for 50k, I bet there would be fewer problems out there.

When I made the change to green, I used a "universal" green antifreeze (safe for all engines).