Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72417 - 08/08/05 12:37 AM Rock chips
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Anyone else having problems with rock chips?

I washed my car real good tonight and noticed about six decent sized dings in my hood.

I knew about one but the others all caught me by surprise.

I'm thinking about putting the bra back on the front to stop future dings.

Is anyone else having this problem, or am I just unlucky? I'm hoping it rusts so I have to replace it with a fiberglas ram hood crazy
#72418 - 08/08/05 12:40 AM Re: Rock chips
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Erik,

You aren't the only one..... I've been contemplating on using it as an excuse to get flames...... wink
That will prolly never happen, but just something I've considered.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#72419 - 08/08/05 01:05 AM Re: Rock chips
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. I don't know what I'm going to do about mine. Everytime I wash it, I end up taking a second look at the front bumper, because all the small chips I've accumulated make it look like there's still a bit of bug junk on it ..
#72420 - 08/08/05 03:03 AM Re: Rock chips
Dave R Offline
Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey bro, i have this magazine called eastwood, its has this clear coat stuff, u spray on areas that are most effected by stones, and protects it 95% of the time from stones. Get at me tomorow n ill let u know wat its actaully called.
#72421 - 08/08/05 03:04 AM Re: Rock chips
HawkeyeSG Offline
Loc: Sioux City, Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcxnus:
Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. I don't know what I'm going to do about mine. Everytime I wash it, I end up taking a second look at the front bumper, because all the small chips I've accumulated make it look like there's still a bit of bug junk on it ..
Same here, I plan on having it all repainted, hood and front bumper clip, at hte end of spring next year. And yes like some of you mentioned, it will definetly give me a good excuse to buy a new hood with some heat vents.
#72422 - 08/08/05 03:08 AM Re: Rock chips
Dave R Offline
Loc: Pennsylvania
Ohh yea and Theres this stuff i have kalled zylol (not spelled right) lol u kan get it from sherwin williams, its a paint thinner, BUT it doesnt take of the vehicle paint at all. Doesnt even fade the color at all, its not too expensive for a lil can, but it works sooo good. I use it on every car i detail. PPL r quite impressed on how easily it takes bugs, tar, and everything else off, EXCEPT car paint :-D works like a charm every time.
#72423 - 08/08/05 08:26 AM Re: Rock chips
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
My mirrors have rock chips more than anything.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#72424 - 08/08/05 09:56 AM Re: Rock chips
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
That's odd. My mirrors are like brand spankin' new.

All my chips are within the first 4/5 inches of the hood. That's what makes me think the bra would help. As much as I hate having to clean leaves and debris out from under it...
#72425 - 08/08/05 10:39 AM Re: Rock chips
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I purchased a dirt cheap used hood bra for my weekday drive into Cleveland. My bumper still gets beat up, though.
If any of the chips are larger enough, you can try that paint chip repair kit that's been talked about a couple times on here.
#72426 - 08/08/05 12:36 PM Re: Rock chips
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
I purchased a dirt cheap used hood bra for my weekday drive into Cleveland. My bumper still gets beat up, though.
If any of the chips are larger enough, you can try that paint chip repair kit that's been talked about a couple times on here.
what is the name of the kit? (I must have missed it).

My dings are all pretty small, but two are starting to bubble. One is about teh size of a pencil eraser.
#72427 - 08/08/05 02:55 PM Re: Rock chips
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
I ahve the same problem Umfan, all of mine are in the same 4 to 5 inches up the hood. Living up here with a lot of snow, rock salt does a fair amount of damage as well. All my mirrors have on them is a lot of bugs.

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#72428 - 08/08/05 03:34 PM Re: Rock chips
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
I have a nasty one on my drivers side mirror about the size of a pencil eraser. It was that way when I got it, so no telling what actually hit it. It does appear to have broken through the actual material the sideview is made of however (fiberglass or plastic?). I figured a good filler and paint would fix it no problem, just haven't gotten around to it.
#72429 - 08/08/05 05:23 PM Re: Rock chips
Daniel Offline
Loc: Virginia
There's a great product out there called Langka (I think that's how it's spelled). Google it. Anyway, it lets you make seamless paint chip repairs by rubbing the substance on the fresh touch up paint (will not harm the original finish) and getting rid of the excess so only the paint stays in the chip, instead of a big "blob" outside as normal.

Paint chips are a fact of life. My GTP has over 107,000 miles on it now and the front has taken a beating, but I think it gives the car character.
#72430 - 08/08/05 06:56 PM Re: Rock chips
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
I have a few on the hood and the bumper and just picked up one on the passenger rear panel last thursday. That rock hit so hard it scared the hell out of me. Now there's a dent and a chip....
#72431 - 08/08/05 07:06 PM Re: Rock chips
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Paint chips are a fact of life. My GTP has over 107,000 miles on it now and the front has taken a beating, but I think it gives the car character.
Haha, I agree. My GT turned over 130k this week, and at that point, you pretty much just know where everything is on the car. lol You'd be able to pick it out of a lot that had hundreds of cars just like it.