Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72881 - 09/02/05 09:57 PM Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Alright, today, I did the front brake pads on my car. Everything went fairly smooth, until I took the test drive.

The brakes worked just fine, but I noticed that when I got up to speed, and turned the wheel slightly to the left, it was making a hideous ear wretching squal. Whether I was on the brakes or not, the faster I was moving, the louder and nastier it would sound.

So I drove it back home, soaked everything in brake cleaner, let it dry, soaked it again, then tried once more, and the same thing happened. None of this ever happened before I did brakes. Before I did brakes, I got a slight squeak when turning right once in awhile, but NOTHING this bad.

I took it out again, and the same thing happened, so once again, I drove it home, put the front end up on jackstands, started it, put it in gear, and just watched the wheels turn, and turned the steering wheel back and forth. I couldn't get any strange noises by doing this, so I set it back on the ground and test drove it once more. Once again, the same thing happened.

Can anyone give me any tips or help me narrow this down?? It's embarassing when your car looks so good and sounds like ass. If you have any other questions about it, please ask, because I need to diagnose and fix this problem IMMEDIATELY!! Thank you all in advance.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#72882 - 09/02/05 10:00 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
You may need to take each corner apart and make sure your pads are sitting in the calipers correctly.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#72883 - 09/02/05 10:20 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
nad Offline
Each corner, as in each wheel? Well I only did the fronts, and the only one that makes any noise is the passenger side. I also painted my calipers today, but wasn't sure whether to paint the lower part of the caliper, then I came inside and looked around at some caliper paint jobs on here and everyone has their entire thing painted, so I guess that's another job I'll have to finish along with fixing my squeal!

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#72884 - 09/02/05 11:27 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
AustinGTP Offline
Yes, sorry. Corner = wheel, and the suspect wheel would be the only one you should need to check.

Just painting the calipers and not the brackets will be fine. I shot my brackets with a flat black paint so they look like they're nice and new OEM.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#72885 - 09/02/05 11:34 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
nad Offline
Hmm, maybe I'll just leave them, or I'll buy some gloss black, or I'll just paint them red like everyone else. Who knows, depends on how creative I get.

-Dan-

#72886 - 09/03/05 09:46 AM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
fire90bird Offline
Loc: Wisconsin
My camaro did that when I replaced the pads, my calipurs were shot and I rebuilt them and it fixed the problem.
#72887 - 09/03/05 12:15 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
could also be the change created by the new pads weated on the rotors has revealed another problem. If your b-joints , cv joint, upper-lower control arm bushings(are my bet) or tie rods were weak...they may now be letting you know..The brakes are pretty straight forward...
#72888 - 09/03/05 12:15 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
"seated" on the rotor
#72889 - 09/03/05 11:32 PM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
nad Offline
Changed the rotors today, auto zone sold me a warped one, so had to take that back, but all in all, it doesn't make that horrible squeak, and the brakes work!! So I'd say I've fixed the main problem. Thanks for the help guys.

-Dan-

#72890 - 09/04/05 12:34 AM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
AustinGTP Offline
How much did the rotors cost you?
Did you consider getting a set of drilled/slots off of ebay?

#72891 - 09/04/05 06:35 AM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
nad Offline
I did consider getting some off ebay, but I had the car jacked up, everything apart, and I wanted to get it done. I got them from Auto Zone for $34 a piece with a 2 year warranty. Hope they last a couple years at least.

-Dan-

#72892 - 09/04/05 07:43 AM Re: Did brake pads, now another problem. Please read.
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
I have drilled/slotted, and Ive been in my buddies 2001 GTP with OEM brakes, what a difference my brakes are from his. I never knew good pads and rotors could be so amazing. My car seems to stop on a dime compared to his. I can brake later, and easily beat him in the twisties. Drilled/Slotted would have most certainly been my suggestion.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,