Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75864 - 09/30/04 01:40 AM leather seats vs cloth seats
daverobs11 Offline
Loc: michigan
When shopping for my GP, I wanted leather seats. But I came across this 'o1 SE (black w/tan cloth interior) low miles and great condition. I bought it. I'm more than happy with the car, but any GP owners, could you give your opionion leather vs cloth. thanks
#75865 - 09/30/04 08:04 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I love leather just cause it doesn't stain for small spills, won't take on a smell, and is easier to clean and keep good looking. My truck is cloth and I hate it.
#75866 - 09/30/04 08:26 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Leather is just plain nice.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#75867 - 09/30/04 10:06 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
green_kidd Offline
Loc: Kansas
I wish my GTP had cloth seats. I like the easy to clean surfaces of leather but I don't like boiling my butt in the summer and freezing it in the winter. At least the heated seat helps.
#75868 - 09/30/04 11:07 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Wish I had leather seats.....
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#75869 - 09/30/04 06:18 PM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
I was always pretty much indifferent. each has advantages and disadvantages.

However, after seeing my friends cars who have small children, Leather is much more durable and most stuff like FOOD and candy etc just wipe off rather than get ground into the fabric. cheers
#75870 - 09/30/04 06:33 PM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Yeah I miss my leather. My 98 had it loved it. My 04 does not have it. Unfortunately its not even an option on the SRT4 im picking up in a few months. But deep buckets 5 spd and 230 hp at the wheels imsure will more than make up the difference of no leather. PS I will be autocrossing it next season. I still plan to stay on GP net even afterwards because yalls a great bunch of people.
#75871 - 09/30/04 07:08 PM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
Julianna Offline
Loc: Kansas
I know you requested people to answer who had GTP's but I have a GT...with all leather interior, seats, up the doors, etc. Well...personally I love the leather seats. It's a 1999 and the leather looks brand new. I also work for Red Wing shoe store, and as many people know, we sell all-leather work boots. Well, I thought for the heck of it I'd try the saddle soap to use on my seats. :-o It's a cleaner for boots. Anyway, it worked it's magic and to this day I REFUSE to use anything else. It's about $3.50 a jar. I've been told not to use it because it isn't meant for leather seats. But...I ignore those people. Obviously it's worked fantasically for all this time. Anyway....just a suggestion. smile
#75872 - 09/30/04 07:57 PM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
I have cloth.....all of the car I had has had cloth......Like why2k said....they both have there upsand downs....I just wish I got leather instead.....

about a month ago....I went to McDonalds to pick up lunch...got it supersized....damn it...well the drink carrier tipped over and there goes all of the drink in the Pass. seat. banghead banghead
I had nothing to soak it up with......just sat there driving sadly as I watched it soak in slowly...now that I think of it, I shoulda pulled out the straw!.

Not even a week later....wife knocked over her soda in the same seat....... banghead banghead I can't win. No more going to pick up food with my car!
#75873 - 09/30/04 10:28 PM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by why2kmax:

Not 2 min from home the cat freaks out and Pisses herself filling the pet carrier. The dog goes apeshit and hits the pet carrier as Im rounding the last turn headed for home.

The pet carrier goes ROLLING across the back seat and cat piss goes everywhere (well all over the back seat, the cat and the dog). Thank GOD it missed the headliner and carpet. (go ahead and laugh, I do now...)

Long story short, the leather did NOT soak up the cat piss and I was able to clean it all up with clorox cleanup and water. If I had cloth seats, Id probably be burning the backseat by now.
lol lol laugh smile sorry smile laugh lol lol

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#75874 - 09/30/04 11:59 PM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

My $.02.
Leather is nice, I love the smell of it. From previous posts, it obviously doesn't require as much attention if you allow simple family abuse.
However.....I don't allow pets in my car, and eating is only done when absolutely necessary, as it is on long trips.
I have cloth interior, and here are the benefits....
Noise...Cloth absorbs noise, where Leather reflects it. A car with leather interior will be slightly louder during freeway driving.
Comfort....I've found the leather in the GP's to be not as comfortable for 2 reasons.....The quality of the leather, and the forms of the seats. The forms are not very ergonomic, and are somewhat firm. All in all, providing a less comfortable seat, and causing you to slide around during evasive driving.
The cloth seats seem to hold my Levis in place more so, and the material seems to add a bit more padding.
The only time I wish I had leather was when I was trying to sell.....Everyone looking asked if it had leather....I see it to be a selling feature. Most people want leather.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#75875 - 10/01/04 07:21 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I have leather in mine and it does have its ups and downs but I wouldn't trade it for cloth. It's more of a personal choice you need to make. I have friends that say they won't get leather then they drive a car with leather or ride in one and they change their minds. Probably the best thing to do would be to rent a car that has leather seats for a couple days and see how you react to it.
#75876 - 10/01/04 07:24 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
Cometstorm Offline
Loc: O'Fallon, Missouri
Add me to the minority....

My 02 GTP came with leather, and I kinda wish I had cloth!

Just personal pref, I reckon.... smile
#75877 - 10/01/04 09:58 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
I *&^%ing LOVE MY LEATHER. The only serious prob I have with it is when I have a friend in the car and around those faster turns I get complaints about sliding around the seat from the leather, which I never got with cloth. So other than that I *&^#ing LOVE MY LEATHER.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#75878 - 10/01/04 10:03 AM Re: leather seats vs cloth seats
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Did I mention I LOVE LEATHER! Ive never sat in a more comfortable seat and it looks great too, easy to maintain, hard to rip, hard to stain, lasts damn near forever if u take care of it right. If a hot cigarette ash hits cloth well you have a problem. If you spill anything other than water on cloth, you have a problem, if its white/baige cloth interior and you get some mud or dirt water on your seat and sit on it, you have a problem. Anyways the choice is clear for me, but everyone has their preference. I was liking the look of that Katzskin two-tone on pfyc speaking of leather. Now nuff said.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >