Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80853 - 01/31/06 11:26 PM Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Okay, to start, I bought a set of nice Camaro(I think) tips from someone off eBay. They were listed as the right size, but now that I have them, they are about an 1/8th inch too big, and the clamp doesn't clamp tight enough to hold them on. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get these to fit?

Secondly, I was at the auto parts store today and seen some nice mufflers that were pretty cheap and thougt "hmm, since i'm at it, maybe i should change my muffs too" but then i realized how the mufflers are hung with the rubber hangers. Do mufflers normally come with the metal prong used to hang these mufflers, or does this have to be welded on after purchasing?

I was going to just install them myself, but considering the multiple possible setbacks, I was thinking about having a shop do it, but am worried about expense. How much do you think a shop would charge to have two mufflers installed, along with the tips i bought installed as well??

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#80854 - 01/31/06 11:36 PM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Tips:
You can cut a slit in the intake of the tip. Cut straight down about an inch, or cut a thin "V", enough so the clamp can pinch it tight.

Hangers:
Yes, the metal rod will need to be welded on during the install.

Labor:
I'd say take it to your local muff shop and see what they charge to install a set of muffs.
The old muffs have to be cut off. New muffs need to be welded on.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#80855 - 01/31/06 11:48 PM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
nad Offline
Oh, I thought I could just remove the old muffs by taking the clamps loose, then installing the new ones by reversving the process. Didn't know it required to be cut and welded.

Thanks for the advice on the tips, I might try that if there aren't any better suggestions by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again Austin...

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#80856 - 01/31/06 11:49 PM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
One thing to keep in mind.....

Mufflers are constructed differently. They have different locations for inlet, and outlet.

For instance, Center in Center out.
Or, Side Inlet Center outlet.

If the mufflers you purchase don't have the same in/out locations, that's that much more labor involved to make them work.

Ours are Side in, Center out.

One more thing.... I just looked at mine, and the tips slip inside the outlet of the muffler. If your newly bought tips are larger than the outlet of the muffler, they are prolly not going to stay on since the muffler outlet has already been expanded and split.

http://pdxcgp.com
#80857 - 02/01/06 12:06 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
nad Offline
Yeah, they were made to go around the outside of the muffler outlet.

Also, the mufflers I was looking at had an offset inlet and center outlet.

I'm still not quite sure as to how trusting I'm going to be with these tips...I'd hate to lose one on the highway, just for other people's sake...

-Dan-

#80858 - 02/01/06 12:10 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by nad:
Also, the mufflers I was looking at had an offset inlet and center outlet.
Offset inlet is prolly a better description than side inlet..... blush

http://pdxcgp.com
#80859 - 02/01/06 01:50 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I had an exhaust shop put my tips on. The stock ones are clamped onto the muffler, but the factory placed a weld on the clamp! So they had to cut through the clamp and torch the crap out of it to get them off, then the new tips were welded around the outside of the muffler outlet.
Get them welded... then you don't have to worry about one falling off.
Also with 133K on your car, I doubt any clamps are going to come off laugh
#80860 - 02/01/06 06:27 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
nad Offline
Oh we got the clamps off. Sawzall's rule. My buddy helped me cut right through the old clamps and cut through the factory weld at the top. After about an hour of cutting, the tips slid off nice and easy. I'm now driving around with no tips at all, since I can't get the new ones to secure on good enough

-Dan-

#80861 - 02/01/06 07:33 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
To put your tips on the mufflers you can use an adapter with clamps.

As for the hanger you can get a generic hanger and use exhaust clamps (big U bolt with a metal bar). You then attach the generic hanger to the car where the old one was and position the clamp accordingly very easy.
#80862 - 02/01/06 01:20 PM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
nad Offline
Yeah, but is it really as easy as it sounds?

Herc, what do you mean by an adapter for my tips? I tried using couplers, but they made the tips stick out ridiculously too far. I'm still driving around with no tips, I feel like a ricer.

-Dan-

#80863 - 02/01/06 11:10 PM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
nad Offline
I got the tips on securely thanks to Bobby's tip of the day. I cut them pretty far down in two places, and clamped them together with regular exhaust clamps...Thanks Bobby for giving me the idea. I'll post pics of the tips soon.

Herc, I saw the universal exhaust hangers at the auto parts store today. That's gonna make me keep thinking about putting some cheap cherry bombs on it myself since it seems easy enough...Maybe in the near future I'll try it...

Thanks again guys...

-Dan-

#80864 - 02/02/06 12:01 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
thumbsup

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#80865 - 02/02/06 06:01 AM Re: Lots of silly muffler and exhaust tip related questions
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
It's really called a reducer. It shouldn't extend them too far. You can get them in many sizes.