Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8283 - 12/18/04 11:03 PM Re: cold air intake
blown gt Offline
Loc: middletown ct
I Have a 4 inch tube running down to my fender just behind the fog lite, stays cleaner longer being in front of the tire, i dont drive it in rain and the winter season...
#8284 - 12/19/04 02:43 PM Re: cold air intake
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
hey guys, so is it a good idea to insulate the pipe as well as the filter box, or is that not necessary?
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#8285 - 12/19/04 04:24 PM Re: cold air intake
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
It doesn't hurt.
#8286 - 12/19/04 09:29 PM Re: cold air intake
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementeddj:
hey guys, so is it a good idea to insulate the pipe as well as the filter box, or is that not necessary?
On my first attempt at making my CA box, I wrapped the pipe with reflectix. It was after that when I started getting a high idle problem. After removing the insulate from around the pipe, my high idle problem went away and has not returned.

I'm not saying don't do it, but if you do and you start having a high idle problem, you might want to remove it and see if that cures the high idle.

I do not have my pipe wrapped with my current set up.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#8287 - 12/20/04 12:19 AM Re: cold air intake
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Austin, my car idles higher during cold starts, is that normal?

If not, thats no good, because my wizaired isn't protected with any insulate. Any thoughts?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#8288 - 12/20/04 08:37 AM Re: cold air intake
AustinGTP Offline
How high does it idle?
Mine was up in the 2K range and higher.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#8289 - 12/20/04 09:56 AM Re: cold air intake
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
ok, as a side note...on many of these CAI kits that I see for sale there is no replacement airbox...so if the stock airbox is eliminated or even replaced with a cold air box...where are you guys relocating your PCM...I would imagine keeping that cool and out of harms way would be a good thing...because heat + water + electronics = big friggin problems!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#8290 - 12/20/04 03:15 PM Re: cold air intake
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
How high does it idle?
Mine was up in the 2K range and higher.
Ohh. Well, mine idles at a single notch below 1k normally. And in mornings when its cold out, it starts out at about a single notch or 2 above 1k.

Is that anything to worry about?

Thunderbat, as far as the Wizaired CAI is concerned, the stainless steel (aluminum?) box that houses your K&N is also the same box that houses my PCM. Perhaps so it also gets a colder treatment?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#8291 - 12/20/04 05:11 PM Re: cold air intake
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Hey bat you can get a PCM tray from the dealership that allows the pcm to lay flat under the box. The PCMs are designed to live in a harsh enviroment. Mine has been in the open for a year now and no problems.

Yes I know I have to relocate my coolant bottle and put a box around the filter also don't bash the dirty engine I took that pic in the dead of winter. I'm not about to put any kind of fluid in there when the temp is 15*F.
#8292 - 12/20/04 05:41 PM Re: cold air intake
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
do you need to have box for your cai? or is it okay to go without one
#8293 - 12/20/04 06:11 PM Re: cold air intake
AustinGTP Offline
Bryan, your idle seems fine.

hotgtp, I've gone for about a year without a box, just an open filter. I think the only time you'll loose anything (if anything at all) will be at the track. For a daily driver you'll be fine. A cai or fwi is always better than an open cone, but an open cone isn't going to hurt you.

I have my PCM inside my box.

#8294 - 12/20/04 09:28 PM Re: cold air intake
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
what am i looking at to lose at the track?
#8295 - 12/20/04 09:54 PM Re: cold air intake
AustinGTP Offline
Not much I don't think. Just at the take off when you're idling at the start line and your intake is sucking in all the hot air from under the hood.

#8296 - 12/20/04 10:06 PM Re: cold air intake
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
OK this is what i was getting at when i said cold air into the supercharger is pointless.

Straight from intense:
Our test car was a 2002 GTX equipped with a stock throttle body, stock supercharger, stock heads, INTENSEā„¢ Stage 1X camshaft, INTENSEā„¢ Stage 1 PCM and SLP exhaust system. Outlet temperatures from the stock blower ranged from 318 to 321 degrees, and our post-intercooler probe showed peak readings of 221 to 228 degrees, for an average charged air temperature drop of 95 degrees!

Now take this into consideration.IF it is 90 degrees outside compared to 60 degrees outside. That cooler air will not even begin to affect the charge temp. There is to much heat generated from the charger for this to even benefit.

IE the key is more air flow not colder air.

This is why the intercooler is on the positive pressure side. AFTER the heat is generated. If it was as easy as cooling the air before the supercharger you could have a FMIC and cool it that way would be easier but it doesnt work that way.
#8297 - 12/21/04 07:34 AM Re: cold air intake
HercMan(Rob) Offline
But the lower temps allow for more oxygen to be drawn into the S/C Oxygen concentration in one cubic foot of air is greater as the temprature goes lower.