Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89373 - 11/21/04 01:46 PM Driver side fog light keeps going out
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
I have Sylvania Silverstars for my headlights and foglights, and its been about 3 months.

About a month ago, my driver side fog went out, so I replaced it, and everything worked just fine again.

Now the same one is out again. And these bulbs are supposed to last a long time, and all the others have. So does anyone know what the problem could be? Wiring?

Thanks.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#89374 - 11/21/04 02:22 PM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
I would definetly say check the wiring. Those bubls should last a while. Also what size bulbs do you have for your headlights and foglights??
cheers
#89375 - 11/21/04 03:12 PM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
BlackHawkGTP Offline
Loc: San Angelo, Texas
I had the same problem with the fog lights. The bulbs werent silverstars but they did burn out pretty quick. mad
"The Black Hawk" 97 Grand Prix GTP, Fenderwell intake, K&N Filters, Flowmaster exhaust, oil cooler, Performance Sparkwires, 3.5 pulley, moved coolant tower, u-bend removed, 180 thermo stat, colder plugs
#89376 - 11/21/04 03:59 PM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Make sure that you are not handling the bulbs. The oils in your fingers will cause them to burn out faster.
I've had S'stars in my heads for about 9-10 months and have had no problems with them, now on the other hand the fogs didn't last worth a flip. I ended up changing my fogs back to OEM's.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#89377 - 11/24/04 01:39 AM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
i agree with austin, i replaced my bulbs when one burnt out, and haven't had any problems since, i just made sure that i didn't touch the bulb. i did however, screw up and here's a piece of friendly advice: WHATEVER YOU DO, MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE THE EXACT SAME BULB TO REPLACE IT I messed up, and thought that it would help to get brighter bulbs, since I do a lot of nighttime driving, and put 100 watt bulbs instead of the 55 watt that were in it, and the outer plastic cover/lens whatever you want to call it has begun to melt. my nite vision is much better, but i now have to buy new lenses for them from the (does that come with a free can of vaseline?) dealership. hopefully i can find some at salvage yard!!!!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#89378 - 11/24/04 06:21 PM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
gtp2.5 you put 100 watt bulbs in your foglight. I have a ford explorer and i was gonna go with super white street glow 37.5 watts in the fog lights and 100 watts in the headlights should i be ok?
#89379 - 11/25/04 12:14 AM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
hot2000gtp i'm not going to say that you'll have any problems, as long as they fit, just keep in mind that if you go with a higher wattage (output) bulb, then you very well may wind up with the same "kick yourself in the ass" kind of feeling if the same type of thing happens to you. like i said I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware of the risks. besides, if they are glass lenses, then you'll never get them hot enough to melt them, but i doubt that they are glass. i guess it's whatever suits your driving style, and budget!! good luck!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#89380 - 11/25/04 12:53 AM Re: Driver side fog light keeps going out
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

GTP2.5,
If your lenses are melting, you may want to look into new sockets for the bulbs themselves.
Be sure to check the whole housing, and the sockets before shopping around for new lenses...Chances are you will need new sockets too.

hot2000gtp,
If you're specs don't call for 100watt bulbs, you may risk melting the sockets, or the wiring. I would inquire with other explorer owners before crossing that line. I've heard of GP's melting sockets from running too hot of bulbs. This may not be the case with other cars.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com