Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91298 - 05/26/06 11:28 PM Shifting questions....
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have a few questions for you guys...

1. (I have been fighting with my friend on this) On our GPs ,on the shifter you have 1 2 3 then D can I use it like a manual? Like 1st then shift to 2nd then 3rd then D? If yes do I have to take my foot off the gas to switch from gear to gear?

2. Can I add performance shifting to my 97 GT if I dont have it?

3. What are the gains from performance shifting & would i want it?

Thanks

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#91299 - 05/26/06 11:31 PM Re: Shifting questions....
Tech Offline
Loc: Garden City, KS
i hav been contemplating the exact same things for like a month and would also like to know. About the performance shifting, is it controlled by the ecu? if so all you would hav to do is reprogram it, right?
#91300 - 05/27/06 01:17 AM Re: Shifting questions....
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
You can manually shift without taking your foot off the throttle.
1-2 will automatically shift whether you like it or not at the rev limiter.
2-3 and 3-4 you will hit the rev limiter and it will not shift until you manually shift.
If you have a stock PCM you may gain a bit by manually shifting only because the stock PCM may shift sooner than optimal, especially 2-3, and 3-4.
You can gain the benefits of performance shift with a reprogrammed PCM, or a tuner. Nowadays, the only benefit of having perf. shift is the fact that you can have 2 different programs in your PCM and switch back and forth with the PS button.

http://pdxcgp.com
#91301 - 05/27/06 11:32 AM Re: Shifting questions....
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
With any DHP pcm you can add performance shift by grounding pin 21 on the pcm harness.
You can also enable this feature with a tuner like crimpton said, but you can also just edit the tables in such a way that when you far into the throttle it'll automatically get very firm.