Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92168 - 01/02/06 12:30 AM whirring at left turn
Bitchn-GTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
when i turn the wheel to the left even slightly it makes a grindy-whirring sound, ive been told its a wheel cylinder my question is does anyone have a second opinion? and also, how is a wheel cylinder changed, because im sure the labor for a shop to do that is rediculous
#92169 - 01/02/06 09:20 AM Re: whirring at left turn
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You mean the Hub. That's my guess on the problem.

Here's my write up on the job (looks like I forgot a page when I updated my site frown )

front hub replacement
#92170 - 01/02/06 04:28 PM Re: whirring at left turn
MikesGTP Offline
Loc: Oxford, CT
Wheel cylinders are used with drum brakes. We have 4-wheel disc so there's no wheel cylinders. Your description sounds like it has more to do with the pump - like it's working too hard. Check the p/s lines, by the pump especially, to see if you have any leaks.
#92171 - 01/03/06 10:03 AM Re: whirring at left turn
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
mine does it but only if im driving over 40 and turning left and is hardly noticable could this be the samething? or could it be from my warped rotors?

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#92172 - 01/03/06 06:25 PM Re: whirring at left turn
MikesGTP Offline
Loc: Oxford, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by pedal down:
mine does it but only if im driving over 40 and turning left and is hardly noticable could this be the samething? or could it be from my warped rotors?
Your problem sounds more wheel bearing related. Jack up each wheel, put one hand at 12 'o clock and the other at 6 'o clock on the tire and push with the top hand and pull with the bottom. There should not be any freeplay. If there is the suspects are wheel bearings and/or ball joints
#92173 - 01/03/06 07:06 PM Re: whirring at left turn
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by pedal down:
Are your rotors warped? If they are you should feel it in the pedal under braking. If they are I recommend fixing those first. Eliminate the obvious stuff first. The rotors might not be the problem but if they need changed anyways might as well do that and eliminate them from the original problem.

I'm still leaning on the bearing. I've been nursing one now for a little while and it's getting changed in the next week or two. I can really feel it when I turn left now. Before it was just an annoying hum but not now.
#92174 - 01/03/06 08:16 PM Re: whirring at left turn
Bitchn-GTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
got it checked out today, found out it is a bad wheel bearing on left side, and both outer tie rods were worn and needed replaced