Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92967 - 06/21/03 05:35 PM Airbox removal and adding K&N kit...
rubberman Offline
Loc: Evansville,Indiana
I removed my stock airbox and remounted the PCM securely. I am using the K&N FIPK from my 98 Blazer. It has a cone filter that is 3.5"diameter on one end and 6" diameter on the open end and 6" long. What i did was route the filter partly thru the hole in the firewall. I have drove it and you can really hear it sucking air. not noticable at low RPMs but does sound like a supercharger when gassing it. The link below shows some pics of it. Please let me know if this is OK. I did also remove the MAF screen. I also thought about reloacting the cone filter behind the headlight to see how it sounds then. I wonder if the cone filter isnt big enough. please let me know.

Airbox removal
#92968 - 06/22/03 09:39 AM Re: Airbox removal and adding K&N kit...
Adam15612 Offline
Loc: PA
where did u relocate the pcm?
#92969 - 06/22/03 11:16 AM Re: Airbox removal and adding K&N kit...
rubberman Offline
Loc: Evansville,Indiana
Right where the airbox sat. I cut up a black rubber bungee so it has a cushion to sit on plus used the rest of the bungee and screw it down to hold it plus some zipties. Pretty snug.
#92970 - 06/23/03 12:45 AM Re: Airbox removal and adding K&N kit...
Brad97GTP Offline
Loc: CA
Food for thought,
Back in my days at Delphi (or AC Rochester, or AC Delco Systems because of the name changes) I used to work with the boys in Flint who did the air meter design. The mesh in the air meter is to make the airflow laminar across the sensing element. Otherwise air currents that change with air velocity in the ducts can effect the air flow measurement. This has a direct effect on the air fuel ratio until the engine learns where the new stioch point is. This learning adjustment or fuel trim is is rememberd for each driving cycle. If the fuel air adjustment is too far out, you can be in danger of getting a fuel trim fault (P0171, P0172, P0174, or P0175). It also has an effect on quick transient (throttle stomp's) that are open loop that may cause a leaning out of the mixture (i.e. less power).
Since the pressure drop across the mesh is very small (inches of water) compaired to the intake vacuum or boost pressure there is really no issue in leaving it in. Unless the engine is flowing significantly more air (upward of 300 g/s or an easy 300 HP), the Air meter should not be any signifcant restriction. Delphi does make a bigger air meter for the V-8's, but that will not buy you anything unless you are really making that kind of HP. The smaller air meter is actually more accurate at the lower flows the 3800 see's (less turn down ratio add's resolution). smile