Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96867 - 09/23/05 03:16 PM Home made pulleys
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Would you guys ever consider something home made like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grand-Pri...sspagenameZWDVW

I'm kind of leary, but if it was done with CAD software it's kind of hard to goof up. He uses similar materials to Pulley Boys pulleys...

I'm not really that serious about buying, just curious what your thoughts would be. The only thing I can think of would be if the pulley is unbalanced it might cause issues.
#96868 - 09/23/05 03:53 PM Re: Home made pulleys
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Since I have an L36, I don't have to worry about it. devilgrin

Besides, I would much rather have something tested.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#96869 - 09/23/05 06:00 PM Re: Home made pulleys
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
I actually saw those.. and was trying to talk to the guy. He said 145 for two pulleys and a hub- although I think the winners of the auction got them for 61$/piece. =/ I would get a 3.4 and a 3.25 because my mods right now can support a 3.25 on cold nights.. as long as my motor/intake temps stay around 160/100 respectively.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
#96870 - 09/23/05 06:03 PM Re: Home made pulleys
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
It all depends on what type of aluminum he's using. If it's done on a CNC it shouldn't be a problem. Remember even though he is offering a MPS type system his is relying on screws vice a key so might be better but you still need a pully puller to get the old one off and it looks like you'll need to have the new hub pressed on.
#96871 - 09/23/05 06:46 PM Re: Home made pulleys
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
It all depends on what type of aluminum he's using. If it's done on a CNC it shouldn't be a problem. Remember even though he is offering a MPS type system his is relying on screws vice a key so might be better but you still need a pully puller to get the old one off and it looks like you'll need to have the new hub pressed on.
True. I'm just thinking it's a cheaper alternative to other modular pulley systems.
#96872 - 09/23/05 06:58 PM Re: Home made pulleys
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
That it is. As long as it's aircraft grade aluminum I wouldn't worry about it. If your really interested email him and ask white type of aluminum he's using.

He really put some thought into it because he's using a stainless hub instead of aluminum. Reducing the chances of corrosion to the shaft of the S/C.
#96873 - 09/23/05 08:54 PM Re: Home made pulleys
Stock97GTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
The copper colored ones in the first picture look very nice!

Looks like the pulley boys are going with a precipitation hardened grade of stainless for the hub and a premium heat treated 7000 series aluminum. Along with some 304SS hardware.

The pulley boys anodize their aluminum which should be more durable than the sprayed on finish from the ebay set.

Herc is right, more details are needed on the ebay set to accurately compare the two sets.
#96874 - 09/23/05 09:32 PM Re: Home made pulleys
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

I've always said, "you get what you pay for".

Earlier this month SEACGP had Mod Day at the Pulley Boys shop. I spent the day with the Seattle Club, and was able to take in first hand what happens at Pulley Boys.
I've met the founder Brian W. before, and was looking forward to seeing him again. He is now in partnership with another gentleman that is just as pleasant to be around as Brian.
They both take pride in their work, and build nothing but top notch products.
If you want to buy a product of lesser value, you may wish you didn't in a short period of time.

Erik,
If you contact us, we can give you a significant price reduction in whatever you want from PB's. The only catcher is, you would have to come here to have it installed by us.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#96875 - 09/23/05 11:07 PM Re: Home made pulleys
UMfan Offline
Clint,

Thanks I will let you know when I'm ready. Hopefully I'll have a PCM soon. Not sure I can afford a CAI yet whether it be home made or purchased. Hopefully this spring I will have a CAI and pulley.

I plan on getting the ubend done soon and changing plugs and tstat soon as well.
#96876 - 09/23/05 11:52 PM Re: Home made pulleys
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
Clint,

Thanks I will let you know when I'm ready. Hopefully I'll have a PCM soon. Not sure I can afford a CAI yet whether it be home made or purchased. Hopefully this spring I will have a CAI and pulley.

I plan on getting the ubend done soon and changing plugs and tstat soon as well.
Erik,

Feel free to let me know if you need any help.
We get together on a regular basis up here in Portland, so fixing you up should be easy enough.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com