Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99763 - 02/21/07 12:33 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
when you lower the car you kind of have to think about how you're going to get where you want to go. Any steep ramps/slopes and even some speed bumps will scrape your front fascia up. Also in some subdivisions backing out of the driveway catches the fascia too.
#99764 - 02/21/07 12:38 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
Richard Candelario Offline
That's not too important to me: my chin is already pretty rashed up from dirt and bad approach angles, anyway. Just so long as I dont rip the thing off my car, ya know?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#99765 - 03/08/07 08:36 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
andrew383 Offline
Loc: so. indiana
anti pogo kit?????

03 slp-fwi-udp-gmpp-aeroforce
#99766 - 03/08/07 09:25 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
hey richard, if you're serious about the AGX's get over to ClubGP and see if you can get in on the group buy for them... it will save you some money and might help you convince the wife that's the way to go. I got in on it, and ordered struts, top plates, and pogo washers and my total after shipping charges was 660.xx gotta wait for the a littlle bit, but IMHO it's well worth it
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#99767 - 03/08/07 10:15 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
2phast Offline
Loc: New York
my gp is lowerd u can c in my sig its a significant drop and it scraps alot

i have 16 inch bbs by the way
K&N cold air intake
lowerd
FAST
#99768 - 08/30/07 03:55 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
time to resurrect this old thread. I'm thinking of replacing the bushings, mounts, ball joints. How many bushings are there? Where are they (aside from the A-Arm bushings)? What brand or material should I be looking for? Please remember that I'm tryin to maintain stock comfort in this car when giving advice and recommendations. Thanks yall.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#99769 - 08/30/07 07:48 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. I spent $$$ replacing struts (KYB) mounts as well as antipogo when I lowered my car with Eibachs. The car sure looked sick...but the ride!!! Unless the roads you travel are smooth as silk it can be quite an adventure. One time while driving at highway speed we crossed a dip in the highway that caused the car to bottom out, rub the wheels and when it recovered lauched everyone in the back seat. The constant jarring over bumps rendered the car almost undrivable. For me the car lost alot of appeal. So I pulled the Eibachs, replaced em with stockers, out of an oldsmobile, and never looked back.....I still have the wheel gap, but I can fill up the trunk with sand, pile the mother in law in the rear and so far, no issues.....I guess my message is, take the time before you buy, decide whats important to you and develop a plan from there. For me , I like the lowered look, but I dislike the go cart, hay wagon ride.....
Just my 2 cents
#99770 - 08/30/07 08:44 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
thats the not the question at hand right now. The question is how many bushings do our cars have? Where are the bushings at? What material of bushing should I and should I not be considering? I sure appreciate the response and insight, though, Mike. I will be sure to take that into consideration when I start doing my struts and springs.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#99771 - 08/30/07 09:19 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
Also, where do I find KYB strut mounts? Are ball joints a dealer item? Now that I can buy these things, they all but disappear. Darn it.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#99772 - 08/30/07 11:00 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
Bobby, you're the POO! thanks for the help over the phone. If not for you and Mike, I woulda done great violence upon mine computer last night.

Only trouble I came across: the SFXperformance website told me to call about the full line of Moog products. Darn it.

Bonus: I now know that American Racing Series 201, 203, and 206 will all fit the Firebird.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#99773 - 08/30/07 11:33 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Glad I could help with what little information I was able to provide.
thumbsup

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#99774 - 08/31/07 01:57 AM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
if you decide to lower the car go ahead and grab yourself a set of the shortened dogbone mounts from the w-body store...with stockmounts I got some nasty vibration while under power and I only lowered 1 inch w /SSC springs...Eibachs might make the problem even worse.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#99775 - 08/31/07 11:13 AM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
no longer thinking about lowering the car. I might if my wife buys herself a car for the kids to hang out in most of the time. For right now: OE replacements tyvm. I will be sure to keep that in mind, though, ty.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#99776 - 08/31/07 11:36 AM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
I am planning on the GR2 struts, strut plates from ZZP (Do I HAVE to get the KYB strut plates??!) and the ZZP springs that only lower 1"

Where can I get the bushing kits that go over the strut shaft inside the springs? I can't seem to find those.

I also know that WBody store is selling control arms with full bushings instead of the cut OEM ones and they come with ball joints installed for 330.00...to me its worth the extra money because I can install the control arms myself instead of needing an air chisel to remove the 3 bolts holding the OEM ball joint in.
#99777 - 08/31/07 12:48 PM Re: Suspension Research (Big pics start pg5)
you dont HAFTA as far as I know, but I would, only to ensure everything fits the way the eggheads, Im sorry, the engineers, meant it to fit.

www.tirerack.com has the strut boots from KYB.

Control Arm=A-Arm? If so, I'm gonna be saving up for that. Guess I missed it in all my shopping last night and today.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >