Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44868 - 03/05/03 12:24 PM MAF Screen
DHoffman Offline
Loc: Whitehall, MI
Has anyone removed their MAF screen and what are the possible ill effects?
#44869 - 03/06/03 02:45 AM Re: MAF Screen
satch Offline
Loc: Eastland Texas
its not worth the trouble..everything ive heard and read says it doesnt work because the computer senses the added airflow and changes the timing a fuel delivery to compensate...its also not worth the trouble because its an irreversible modification..
#44870 - 03/08/03 11:22 PM Re: MAF Screen
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
It IS a reversable modification. The MAF screen serves to straighten the turbulent airflow coming from the intake. Once you remove it, the airflow may give inconsistent readings and change fuel/timing accordingly. If you choose to remove the MAF Screen, make sure you have a smooth flow (such as a smooth pvc pipe) from the intake to the MAF.

If you damage the MAF screen during removal, it costs $10 from the dealership. All you need to remove it (if I remember) is a snap ring tool.
#44871 - 03/09/03 11:45 PM Re: MAF Screen
satch Offline
Loc: Eastland Texas
what is the verdict on removing MAF screens anyway?...is it advantageous or not?...ive heard so many different stories i dont know what to believe confused
#44872 - 03/10/03 09:46 AM Re: MAF Screen
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
As stated above the problem is Turbulent flow vs. Laminar flow. The computer wants to predict certain parameters so it needs a smooth, layered flow. You want more bang so want turbulent flow. If you remove the MAF you get that but then your computer will change the timing and all such things and you will end up with the same result as if you left MAF in. This is similar to fooling the computer when it comes to installing a resistor for the air sensor before the T/B. Indeed you change it, but then the computer will adapt to the "new" optimal variables, change timing and there really is no advantage. I suggest doing some research on members sites if you are not sure, personally I would focus on cooling the incoming air, cooling the engine bay, isolating the S/C from the T/B rather then worry about the MAF.
#44873 - 03/13/03 01:52 PM Re: MAF Screen
DHoffman Offline
Loc: Whitehall, MI
Yeah I found out it is reversible, I had the F Duct off to install a K & N and just decided to pull mine out. Havent had any problems. Thanks for the input