Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50181 - 03/18/03 09:12 PM Better performance
sanjin03 Offline
Loc: chicago
hi everybody im new here and i have a few questions to ask you guys. Just few days ago i bought a 2000 GP SE 3.1 and i want to know what can i put inside engine to get few extra horses.
I raced my friend who has a 2001 grand am GT and i beat him but i think i got lucky on that 1 since he was burning his tires way too much on take off...i barely beat him....well what im trying to say i need something that will give me some horsepower so i can beat him without luck....im looking for something in price range of 200$.....i know i can buy air filter but what kind do you guys recomeend.....also i was thinking exhaust....i wanted to put straight pipe from the engine so it will be louder is that wise or not......i never have seen a grand prix with loud exhaust.....well i really appriciate if somebody can answer my questions
#50182 - 03/19/03 08:14 AM Re: Better performance
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I'd suggest replacing the stock air box with a 7 or 9" K&N Cone. You can find instructions on how to do that either on this site or on ClubGP.com. You can do this for around $50.

The next thing to do is replace the stock exhaust from the cat back. You can either build a custom exhaust or buy one of the pre-built units. At this point, I don't know if you want to mess with anything between the engine and the cat. This will run you between $400 and $650 depending on the route you go.

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#50183 - 03/27/03 02:07 AM Re: Better performance
GrPrixJayhawk Offline
Loc: Lawrence
I put a 9" cone on my 97 GT, and it's made a difference in power and economy. Added bonus; the engine snarles more; sounds like a jet engine! I love it; and installation was simple. I got my parts and instructions for it all at grandprixstore.com. They have a lot of what you'd need to do up a gr. prix but they gear it more towards the 3.8s. And as far as straight pipes, they have the pipe but it's illegal for anything but offroad use. But i guess what people dont' see doesn't hurt them; it'll be interesting so hear how it comes together.
#50184 - 03/27/03 06:14 PM Re: Better performance
gpkid06 Offline
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri
i read that the 7 or 9 in k&n filter fits on the se 3.1 lt i have a 99 se and i was wondering what else fits on the 3.1?
any help would be appreciated