Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71684 - 06/16/03 02:36 PM changing the radio need info
Qnz360 Offline
Loc: NYC
i am goign to change my head unit today. has anyone found any tricky problems when doing this so i have a heads up going in? do you really need a crimp tool to do the job?
#71685 - 06/16/03 10:08 PM Re: changing the radio need info
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
Be gentle when you take off the dash! Pull it off carefully. Adjust the steering wheel to it's lowest setting and push the turn signal stalk down. The metal clips that hold the dash on might come off and spring around the interior - careful! eek

Make sure you get a quality radio install kit, like from Metra. My '99 GP used Metra part no. 99-3320. You'll need an antenna adaptor which will adapt the aftermarket antenna to work with the GM antenna. Get a wiring harness adaptor too (Metra ABMW-1858), it really makes the install much easier than trying to match all those wires. Altogether it was about $40 in parts. Should take no more than 2.5 hrs. hammer

~Steve

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.
#71686 - 06/17/03 10:23 AM Re: changing the radio need info
Qnz360 Offline
Loc: NYC
Thanks for the advice i should have double checked for replies . In anycase I went at it yesterday and i got the dash off no prob, the wires were pretty simple i copied the chart from club gp and i had to do some minor adjustments to get the mount to fit in properly ( i think the guy sold me a crappy installation kit) and then i didnt know that the freaking antenna needs an adaptor i tried tapping it up it wouldn't hold i was so close yet so far! I was about to order one from crutchfield but wanted to know if anybody knew where to buy the adaptor so i don't have to wait for it to be shipped.
#71687 - 06/24/03 02:07 PM Re: changing the radio need info
carlos Offline
Loc: St. Louis , MO
I have the Bose system I have installed radios in other cars every shop i go to tells me I have to run new wires and stuff and that my heads up display won't work is this true? Is there a way to make the steering wheel controls work? I really don't want to re runt he speaker wires if it's not necesary. Any input would be helpful I have the subs hooked up to the factory radio now. It sounds good I just have all this equipment I want to put in cd changer amps please if you've replace a readio in a gtp let me know what is required. Basically do I have to run new wires for each speaker. cowboy
#71688 - 06/25/03 02:36 PM Re: changing the radio need info
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Crutchfield sells an adapter for the replacment of the Bose stereo. They say that with this adapter, you do not need to re-wire the back speakers. I don't know if it will allow you to keep the 6x9's as the subs, or if it just sends the rear sound to the 4"ers.
If anyone has used this adapter form Crutchfield, please let me know how it sounds when hooked up.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.