Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103407 - 08/06/03 09:01 PM What is water injection
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
I looked in the archives, I've looked in the GP Store, I've checked other web sites, but can not find out anything. Who's got'em and what does it do?

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#103408 - 08/07/03 07:23 AM Re: What is water injection
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
To make a long story short, H2O injection reduces combustion heat which prevents high (a relative term) knock/retard (KR). The higher your KR, the more timing gets pulled (to keep the engine from blowing up), creating less power.

Here's a website that'll give you more detailed information: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#103409 - 08/08/03 08:08 PM Re: What is water injection
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Mixing water with the fuel in the cylinder? Brilliant. We used to call that "bad gas". Not the kind you get eating beans. It's so crazy, it might just work. This thing injects atomized water into the engine somewhere by the intake manifold through a hole that must be drilled and tapped. The water mist goes into the combustion chamber and is burned up along with the fuel and oxygen. Contrary to what you may think, this process is meant to cool down the motor from the cylinder walls outward, reducing knock retard and allowing higher boost and safely increasing HP. Sound like an interesting device. However, I have never heard of anything like this before and it hurts my brain to believe that this thing works without burning up your valves and rings. I mean isn't it like getting water in your gas from the station and having to buy dry gas to get it out. Here you are actually consciously, knowingly, and intentionaly putting water into your fuel, volantarily(sp?) by your own free will. This concept disturbs the very foundation of my existance. BUT---Hey, if it works, who am I to make a fuss??? By the way, does this web-site have spell check?

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#103410 - 08/09/03 01:45 PM Re: What is water injection
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
The process does take a little understanding, but has been used for many, many years. WWII planes were using water injection.

Also, water injection doesn't really increase horsepower more than returning horsepower that was being reduced due to timing being pulled.

But you got the basic understanding of it. Good review.

Marc (BTW... no spell checker on this site)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided