Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121530 - 02/28/04 10:28 AM Power Steering Pump Change?
Edubb44 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
I was wondering how hard it is to change the power steering pump in a 97 GTP? I just wanted to see if it is worth the hassle of me changing it or just have someone do it for me. If I can do it then where can I find some instructions? Thanks for the help!!!
#121531 - 02/28/04 11:43 AM Re: Power Steering Pump Change?
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
Is the pump on yours in the back of the engine compartment by the firewall? If so, you may want to have it done for you. I wouldn't advise installing one of the "parts store" rebuilds, either. They can be noisey, and sometimes leak prematurely. Its not a job you want to do twice! What's wrong with the pump, may I ask? GM steering pumps rarely need to get replaced on these cars. Are you getting a binding when you turn? If so, GM has just issued a recall to replace the steering pinion bearing, which likes to get loose and cause binding problems with the steering.
#121532 - 02/28/04 04:15 PM Re: Power Steering Pump Change?
Edubb44 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
Yes my pump is in the back of the engine compartment, behind the passenger side wheel. I wouldnt say it is binding just when turning it jumps or it catches then becomes loose then catches again. The GTP has 154,000 miles on it so it is not like it is a low mile car. I hope this helps, sorry for the sloppy descroption but that is a hard thing to explain.
#121533 - 02/28/04 05:20 PM Re: Power Steering Pump Change?
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
I just typed in a reply, but it seems to have disappeared... Oh, well. I'll start over. The symptoms you are discribing sound like the bearing recall symptoms to me, or maybe a steering postion sensor, if your car has one. But, check the steering fluid level first and make sure it's full. If its low, then that's probably your problem, and you should look for a leak. Is the steering whining at all when you turn the wheel? Maybe call the dealer with your car's VIN and see if the recall applies to your car, or if it's ever been performed. The dealers have been busy with this lately; I think the recall just came out. Let me know how it goes...
#121534 - 02/29/04 08:12 AM Re: Power Steering Pump Change?
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Have you looked at this engine compartment? Let someone else's knuckles fix that thing. Just my thoughts.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP