Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47650 - 03/12/04 04:36 PM SD ram air hood
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I was looking at the SD hood in the GPstore last night and I really like the look of those heat extractors. All the extra pics really show the high quality of the piece and the ability to make it functional as a ram air unit is a big plus (no paper tigers here!) I am curious though about what appeared to be a lack of water drains. Where does the water go that comes in through the extractors when you wash the car or when it rains? does the plastic engine cover under the hood act as a shield? I've never been a big fan of those covers (I like to see the mechanical stuff under there)...does anyone here have this hood on their car?...and have you experienced any of these drawbacks, or am I just not seeing something?

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#47651 - 03/12/04 05:25 PM Re: SD ram air hood
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
I agree the hood is great,

what cold air box does it use> Most if not all Ive seen use the SLP box.

IMO (and Im sure many will correct me if Im wrong) you would be better off pulling colder air from the fender area with some sort of homemade fenderwell intake, or the wizaired or thrasher or something other than the Ramair.

The inlet for the cold air in the ram air box seems pretty small and considering the small ram air openings in the hood and small passageways it has to get to the box I dont think you would see as much benefit.
#47652 - 03/13/04 02:39 PM Re: SD ram air hood
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I think the hood would probably move a good amount of air considering the car is moving forward, plus the intake tube is only 2.5-3 inches. Personally I think I'd go with having an opening in the fenderwell in addition to the hood inlet for those times you get stuckin traffic and such. As long as the incoming air is cooler than the engine compartment I dont think its 100% neccesary that it be sealed completely in. I'm just kinda concerned where the water goes when it rain or you wash the car. If it runs right onto the engine or the belt drives that could cause lots of problems.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com