Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33131 - 04/13/04 11:24 PM :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Loc: Macon, Georgia
Hey..if anyone has the right side steering wheel control for a 97-00 GP or both of them for that matter..let me know..I need the right side Volume button switch..PLEASE HELP!!! Ive looked on Ebay for some time and havent been able to find any..Thanks much!
#33132 - 04/14/04 12:21 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
You may want to try just looking for an entire steering wheel with the controls already in it (used, of course). A whole used wheel may be about the same price, be easier to find, and only take 1/2 hour or so to install. If possible, you could look for the newer style wheel, which is a little better looking (in my opinion), and is thicker with better gripping. As far as I know, the new ones should be interchangable with the old style, but the airbag thing may be a problem. Does yours have an airbag? That's my suggestion, but only if you can't find just the controls individually.
#33133 - 04/14/04 12:30 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Yeah Adam..mine has the air bag, but I just wonder about the air bag going off when Im trying to take it off.. eek Anyway though..if you happen to see one on Ebay or at your dealership or whatever at a reasonable price, just let me know. Yeah Id figure that a whole steering wheel would be easier to get than those 130.00 controls(dealer price)! So you think the new steering wheel(Im assuming 01-03 GTP)would fit on my 98? I figured it wouldnt..hmm..any more suggestions?? I appreciate you helping me with that..
#33134 - 04/14/04 12:31 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Could I also just disable the whole airbag system altogether if it did not work??
#33135 - 04/14/04 12:35 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
Adam S. Offline
You need not worry about the airbag going off when changing the wheel; the airbag assembly just plugs into a connector (the one with the yellow wire). I'm not sure, but I do think that an '01-'03 wheel will fit. I can't see GM changing anything with the steering shaft or the whole column just to fit an updated-styled wheel. But, I could be wrong; I've never really looked into it. I'll call a couple of my suppliers tomorrow and check it out. A junkyard should be able to tell you too, although it's sometimes hard to find someone reliable at those places.
#33136 - 04/14/04 12:46 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Sweet..yeah though, Ill keep looking on my end and see..if anyone runs across a steering wheel or controls or whatever for the GP, how about letting me know at pontiacmatt98@yahoo.com..Thanks again Adam
#33137 - 04/14/04 12:57 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
Adam S. Offline
As for the airbag disabling question, you could just leave it unplugged if you wanted, but then you'd probably be stuck with a constant or flashing SRS or Airbag light on your dash. If you find a used wheel, make sure you check and see if it comes with the airbag assembly. Alot of times they remove this before selling the wheel, assuming you'll just transfer over your old one to the new wheel, but I know that the airbags will be different if you decide to go with the new design steering wheel. The airbag assembly usually just bolts in the wheel with 2 ro 4 bolts; pretty easy.
#33138 - 04/14/04 12:59 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
look on the classifieds forum on clubgp.com. I remember seeing 1 or 2 on there.
#33139 - 04/14/04 08:30 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
Dave_GTX Offline
Loc: Toronto
On the note of steering wheel controls.. I know there's a light underneath the buttons, my left side-controls have a burnt light, how is that replaced? --On the note of lights, the little indicator light for my fog-lamps, (that little rectangular-upright yellow/orange indicator) has burnt.. how? ..blows my mind!! ..Any ideas on how to replace these lights??
#33140 - 04/14/04 08:59 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
to replace those bulbs requires a soldering iron and lots of patience.
#33141 - 04/14/04 09:07 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
Adam S. Offline
For the fog lamp switch light; you'll just have to replace the switch. Don't worry, it's cheap, and basically just snaps into place, after you pull back the large instrument cluster cover, which is held in by snap clips. About 15 minutes or so to replace.
#33142 - 04/15/04 01:26 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Hey Adam...do you think you could look out for a used steering wheel for the 01-03 GP?..Im not sure if you deal with parts like that in your line of work, but Ive been looking around like a mad man today and have had no luck whatsoever..if you can help me in any way locate one or at least a right side module for my existing wheel..Id sure appreciate it!!
#33143 - 04/15/04 01:29 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
pontiacmatt98 Offline
I didnt see any threads on ClubGP.com for the controls..hmm..this is getting frustrating!! mad I guess Im wanting to be "cheap" and hope to find one for like 30 bucks or whatever, but I guess Im gonna have to bite the bullet and get one off of gmpartsdirect.com...GRR!! frown
#33144 - 04/15/04 02:19 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
you may want to check a haynes manual before you pull the wheel...I removed the wheel on my Intrepid once and my manual said to disconnect the battery and there was an aux power source in the console that acts as a backup to make sure the bag deploys in event of the battery being damaged in an accident...without jumping out the aux power, and ground will set the module off, so you may want to consult a manual...unless one of you guys has done this already and there is no danger...nothing takes the place of experience, just dont get the bad kind!
On the subject of steering wheel controls, I saw an aftermarket adapter in the GP store for replacing the head unit...has anyone done this? and if so, what kind of head unit did you buy?

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#33145 - 04/15/04 08:53 AM Re: :Wanted!: Steering Wheel Controls
Adam S. Offline
I'll check around for a used wheel, but things like this are sometimes hard to find in used form; many others have had the same problem and idea as you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >