Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26787 - 11/19/04 05:48 PM Leather treatment
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I've read through some past threads about interior detailing, but I did not see anything about the leather interiors.

Are there any maintenance requirements to keep the leather from cracking and getting nasty? I'm guessing there are probably oils or something?

How often are you supposed to do this?
#26788 - 11/19/04 06:09 PM Re: Leather treatment
tc Offline
Loc: Roch. N.Y.
Yes, yes and yes! Agood leather treatment will only enhance and keep it looking good, especially if the GP sets outside in the sun!
#26789 - 11/19/04 09:59 PM Re: Leather treatment
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
There are several products that do really good. I used one from blue magic on my old car and have used a meguiars conditioner before both very good.
#26790 - 11/20/04 08:52 AM Re: Leather treatment
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
meguires is good and of course your gonna get creases and folds in your leather but thats fine cause that shows it is "aging" properly.

97-03 gp`s imo have a harder leather then the 04`s.
when i got to preview the new 04`s at epcot before they sold them to the public the pmd rep told me that the leather they use in the gp is now the same leather that they use in the caddys but i shot back that its probley the leather that caddilac has rejected.

i clean and condition my leather once a month, now the biggest problem im having is the stitching that is on my doors. it gets dirty and i try to clean them with a soft tooth brush and mild soap just so the stitching wont fray or come loose.

save the highways
snowbirds taste just like chicken
this message brought to you by the north american left lane gang
hammer
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#26791 - 11/20/04 12:08 PM Re: Leather treatment
AARON 76 Offline
Loc: MASS.
does any one know how to get a musty smell out of leather , i bought these seats on ebay but they were from a wrecked car and the leather seats must of got wet,any suggestions would be great,thanks guys

99 gtp coupe many mods
#26792 - 11/20/04 12:16 PM Re: Leather treatment
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Im glad someone made a post about this I had to research it myself a little while ago. As far as maintenance yea meguires gold class once a month, personally I also add a coat of Armor-All Leather once its clean to protect it (I back armor-all for anything they make a cleaner for its good stuff), when I first got my car it had been sitting out for about 3 weeks in the summer and the leather was pretty hard, as soon as I conditioned and cleaned the leather I immediately noticed it was alot softer and more moisturized, also the little bit of folding and creasing that was going on wasnt as taught like it could rip, but more stretchy and durable, I got comments that it was softer as well, bottom line proper routine leather maintenance is required to keep it looking and feeling fresh and comfortable.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#26793 - 11/20/04 06:59 PM Re: Leather treatment
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
i don't really use armor-all for anything on the inside of a car anymore. it used to, don't know about anymore, but over time it would cause the interior(talking about the dash and other stuff, not seats though) to become brittle and crack. but it might work on seats.
dhp 1.0
#26794 - 11/20/04 07:16 PM Re: Leather treatment
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
cheers

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#26795 - 11/21/04 12:04 PM Re: Leather treatment
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 2fast4u:
cheers
I'm in denial that it happened. frown Watched the game with a Buckeye alumni out here. Not good times. At least we'll have the Rose Bowl (and a reaming by Cal) to look forward to.
#26796 - 11/22/04 10:12 AM Re: Leather treatment
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Ive never heard of that for armor-all hmm. Ive used it since I started driving and have never had that problem on the dash etc, they make a special cleaner called Armor-All Leather which is a different forumla than the regular armor all so I wouldnt be worried about fading.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#26797 - 11/22/04 02:55 PM Re: Leather treatment
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
I use lexol cleaner and conditioner on the leather once a month or so. I use meguires vinyl protector on the dash and door panels and plastic bits. Works great, smells great.

UMFan, could be worse, you could be a Penn State Fan... confused
#26798 - 11/22/04 03:29 PM Re: Leather treatment
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
I have had a few cars with leather... the only thing I use and will use is a damp (not wet) lint free cotton cloth.

I do not trust any of that stuff..I only use water to clean anything on the inside - I have had clean cars for years now.

I have recently switched to the swiffer hand held unit for dusting the interior. But never chemicals, only water.
#26799 - 11/22/04 05:16 PM Re: Leather treatment
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
I have had a few cars with leather... the only thing I use and will use is a damp (not wet) lint free cotton cloth.

I do not trust any of that stuff..I only use water to clean anything on the inside - I have had clean cars for years now.

I have recently switched to the swiffer hand held unit for dusting the interior. But never chemicals, only water.
And that is kind of what I was wondering with the original post.

I only use water to clean the inside of my car. I'm in Oregon, so we don't have a TON of sun (I use a windshield visor while I'm at work in the summer.

But, I've owned my GP for about 18 months now and never put anything on the leather. I know you oil a baseball mitt to really break it in good, and did not know if leather seats were the same way.

I'm happy with the way my interior is right now, but I did not want to do damage by NOT oiling it somehow.
#26800 - 11/22/04 07:50 PM Re: Leather treatment
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Jizz, whats the longest you have kept a car?

Im not saying only cleaning with water is bad, over two-three years you probably wouldnt notice anything I dont think, but after 5 or 6 I think you would.

I had a 95 Impala SS. cheap leather interior. I always used Lexol. I put 50,000+ miles on it in 6 years. when I sold it the seats looked brand new.

My dad bought his 95 SS a month after I did. He never put anything on the seats. After 3 years and 20,000 miles his seats looked like they were 10 years old. After 9 years now they look a good bit worse. Ive finally started putting something on his seats when he drives the car to visit since I try to detail it for him each time. Id say over a long time it will make a difference.
#26801 - 11/23/04 11:46 PM Re: Leather treatment
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
simple fact to the matter is that leather is skin. what would you do in order to keep your skin on your body from cracking and bleeding. you wouldn't use only water. my father has done leatherwork for years, and i've had leather seats for 4yrs.he told me to use lexol, or something comparable to it. my recommendation would be to use something regulary(minimum of every two months), then every week or so, take a clean cloth and simply wipe any dust off the seats, etc. you'll never have any problem just as long as you are aware that you have to take care of it in order to keep it looking nice!!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >