Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44861 - 01/02/05 02:56 PM car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
soundguy Offline
Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Hi!

Thanks for reading! My 2001 GTP sedan has the problem of unlocking all four doors at once by itself, randomly. It has happened while driving, at home, at work, with the car running or not, key in the ign or not. I dont think it's a transmitter because all four doors open, not just the drivers first. I checked for evidence of a remote start install (grounding lock wires) but found the car to be stock and untouched. A guy on club GP told me his T/A had the same thing and was traced back to the drivers side lock switch being bad. Has anyone else had this problem? The car has GM bumper-to-bumper, so I'm taking it in tomorrow. I just want to know what to tell the techs what to look for so they just don't walk me saying, "it didn't do it while it was here, so we can't fix it." Thanks in advance for your replies!!
#44862 - 01/02/05 02:59 PM Re: car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
the tech's will have a few ideas of what it might be so just tell them to take a look and check everything out for you.
#44863 - 01/03/05 07:32 AM Re: car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
soundguy Offline
Will do! Taking the car in this morning. I will let you know what happens! thanks for the reply. I just had a bad experience with Todd Wenzel, so I get defensive about taking my car to another dealership here in town. Thanks for the reply!
#44864 - 01/03/05 07:35 PM Re: car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
soundguy Offline
Took car to Kool chevy today in GR. Car stayed locked for five hours plus a 11 mile test drive (funny, no tread on front tires when I picked it up! Just kidding.). So...just what I expected. I was told that they couldn't diagnose it or fix it unless the car demonstrates the problem. Since my car on has 800 miles on it left for the warranty, I will be leaving it with them for my vacation on Jan 12 to Jan 19. Maybe they can fix it then. I think they'd take it in as they can bill lots of time to GMPP for the work. I cant think of anything else to do other than unplug the lock switch when it's happening to see if that stops it. Any other ideas Thanks!

Was told that "reprogramming the BCM" may fix it, anyone know how to do this?
#44865 - 01/03/05 09:05 PM Re: car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
I think you mean PCM. Never heard of a BCM. Also if you undo the window switches in the driver door none of your windows will work. I think if you undo the Switch for the locks you will have the same problem. Not sure what really to suggest just putting somethign out there.
#44866 - 01/03/05 09:10 PM Re: car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
don't mess with it yourself cause its really easy to mess up!! just try to let gm handle it
#44867 - 01/04/05 06:19 PM Re: car unlocks itself randomly! WTheck!
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Actually BCM is the Body Control Module, which controls the locks, windows, and the factory alarm.

As for your problem, I didn't have this problem on my GP, but I had similar (yet different)problem on my father in-law's Jeep. When you open the door slightly, all the doors unlock. (But they won't lock) I took off the door panel on the driver's door, and found that one of the wires was shorting to ground on the door frame. I fixed this short, but now the locks don't work at all. Turns out the driver's side lock switch was bad. It seemed the locks are all wired to the driver's switch, so if that switch was bad, the whole thing went down.

I'm guessing if you have them look at the front two doors, you'll find a lock wire shorting to ground somewhere.