Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95367 - 07/26/05 01:05 PM New to the grand prix
slowprix Offline
Loc: Kansas city
I drove a cavalier for a year, and i just recently bought my moms 99 grand prix gt. compared to my cavalier its prety quick. what do you guys think the grand prix will run the 1/4 mile in stock? i have about 300.00 extra, but im not sure what the best mods are to do to the car. i was thinking intake, and catback?. please give me your opinions.
thanks,
Jake W
#95368 - 07/26/05 01:07 PM Re: New to the grand prix
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Welcome!

You're on the right track with your mods.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#95369 - 07/26/05 01:08 PM Re: New to the grand prix
slowprix Offline
thx, how many hp gain will it be (if any) if i do that stuff? and what do u think the stock 1/4 mile time is right now?
#95370 - 07/26/05 01:11 PM Re: New to the grand prix
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Welcome to the GP community!

I don't have a solid answer to your 1/4 mile question, but from what info is out there you can probably expect to run high to low 16's stock, depending on conditions, altitude and of course how well you can launch and drive the car. But again, don't hold me to those numbers just trying to give an idea.

Get a good high-flow cone filter and build a custom cold-air intake setup, throw on some flowmasters and look into an aftermarket PCM, seems to be a common chain of mods

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#95371 - 07/26/05 01:14 PM Re: New to the grand prix
slowprix Offline
ok. thanks for the help, i think im goin today to get the exhaust put on.
#95372 - 07/26/05 01:29 PM Re: New to the grand prix
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Please change your sig. I know the undermining tone but this is a family site.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#95373 - 07/26/05 02:05 PM Re: New to the grand prix
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
For the money, replace the air filter, PCM, exhaust...then your well on the way...for me, money spent should translate into a car that has improved response. You can spend big $$$ in mods with little effect. Two schools of thought, 1 is mod everything you can but leave the block stock, the other is open her up and replace components. Frankly the GP format is flexible but not the best choice for a White knuckle, full on road racer. Dont get me wrong, I love my ride, but Im realistic as to my expectations. Enjoy your new wheels and welcome to one of the nets best sites for GP issues. thumbsup
#95374 - 07/26/05 02:25 PM Re: New to the grand prix
slowprix Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
Please change your sig. I know the undermining tone but this is a family site.
Changed....my bad frown . but there is one problem with the car. i just cant find out where the sound is coming from, but whenever you rev it up in neutral i hear a ratteling sound (it sounds like its coming from somewhere in the exhaust). it also does it when i put the car in 1st gear and slowly accellerate through 1st and 2nd gear. does anyone know whats causing this?
EDIT: i just started the car and listened, and it sorta sounds like putting pellet gun pellets in a coffee can and shaking the can. its that kind of rattle except a little bit deeper
#95375 - 07/26/05 02:46 PM Re: New to the grand prix
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
The issue probably lies within your catalytic convertor. Go to an exhaust shop and have them check it out.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
#95376 - 07/26/05 03:30 PM Re: New to the grand prix
slowprix Offline
when i get my exhaust done im going to have them look at it, and see if they notice anything wrong in it.
#95377 - 07/26/05 03:47 PM Re: New to the grand prix
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
That's gonna be that catalytic converter, might wanna think about getting it replaced before it gets totally clogged up and your car won't start. It's happened to a couple of buddies of mine. Congrats on the GT purchase though smile

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#95378 - 07/26/05 04:20 PM Re: New to the grand prix
framos242 Offline
Now would be a perfect time for a hi-flow cat.

devilgrin
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#95379 - 07/26/05 04:40 PM Re: New to the grand prix
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the board. If the cat is bad buy the high-flow not hi-lo ( devilgrin Framos )cat from the GP store. The cost will be similar and you'll be stepping in the right direction for mods.

The first couple of must do mods are
1. some kind of CAI or FWI either pre-fabbed or home made.
2. Ubend delete(if you get the high flow cat you won't have to worry about the Ubend delete.
3. Aftermarket PCM
After those three you have to ask your self how much power do I want then Chico is the man for the info there. He can get you in the right direction.
#95380 - 07/26/05 04:45 PM Re: New to the grand prix
framos242 Offline
Thanks Herc!