Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1855 - 07/23/05 02:25 AM Delete U bend.... and resonator?
HawkeyeSG Offline
Loc: Sioux City, Iowa
Ok I know about the U bend... and mine will be gone sooner or later, sooner I hope.

What about he Resonator?? I read on another forum to delete it as well?? What does it do, and why delete it?
#1856 - 07/23/05 09:04 AM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I'd leave it. You don't have enough mods to get any benifit out of removing it and alot of people don't like the drone they end up with inside the cabin and end up replacing it with a glass pack(which by the way burns out over time and needs replaced)

It's purpose is to help reduce noise inside the cabin. People with extensive mods who are looking to get the free est flowing exhaust they can get remove it. But at the same time they are also upping the diameter of the piping all the way back.
#1857 - 07/23/05 10:17 AM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
When I took out the u-bend, I also took out the resonator, it does add a bit of drone to the cabin like Herc said. I took it out before I put on the flowmasters, and I still had the factory cat on, now I don't even notice the drone

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#1858 - 07/23/05 10:19 AM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
Is that because it sounds so cool that the drone just doesn't matter anymore?
#1859 - 07/23/05 02:04 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
I don't have a res either. It got taken out when all the exhaust got worked on. It really doesn't make much of a difference either way, so you're free to make the decision without much, if any, regret.
#1860 - 07/23/05 03:34 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
GillysGTPSS Offline
You hit the nail on the head Bonneville hammer The sound does seem to turn heads a bit. I had a GT pull up beside me two days ago and rev his motor like he wanted to race, I revved mine, and I loved just watching his facial expression change. laugh , after that I don't think was into racing anymore

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#1861 - 07/23/05 03:36 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
GillysGTPSS Offline
Herc you might know, I have noticed a lot of noise in the the back seat with the flowmasters on, to get rid of tht would it be better to extend the tips or put on resonated tips?

#1862 - 07/23/05 03:51 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
If you got just FM 40s and not Delta Flow 40s, it'd be good to do both. If it's Delta Flows, extending was enough for me.
#1863 - 07/23/05 04:10 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
GillysGTPSS Offline
Ok Arc, i do need to do something with the tips, I may look into resonated tips and extending at the same time

#1864 - 07/23/05 08:31 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
All I did was extend my tips a bit. As for scaring the GT out of a race I know with mine that when I rev it that S/C makes a big whine that turns alot of heads. smile
#1865 - 07/24/05 02:38 AM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
HawkeyeSG Offline
Loc: Sioux City, Iowa
So if I were to redo it all with something like an SLP system, I might want to get the resonator put back in? and why are the SLPs so much less than the Borlas and Corsas Cat Backs? And whats the deal with this "value" Dynomax?
How bout this.. for the money, whats best? and if its somethign I might be able to handle myself install wise... Iam up for saving money with a little dirty work.
#1866 - 07/24/05 06:33 AM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
quote:
Originally posted by GillysGTPSS:
You hit the nail on the head Bonneville devileek
#1867 - 07/24/05 07:24 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
quote:
You hit the nail on the head Bonneville devileek
Long time no see Chico! Your GT is one heck of an exception to the rule, and is one NA engine to beware.

When getting my custom exhaust setup done I plan on keeping the resonator to avoid excess drone, and may go against the trend of Flowmasters and get some Magnaflows

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#1868 - 07/25/05 10:18 AM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Herc you might know, I have noticed a lot of noise in the the back seat with the flowmasters on, to get rid of tht would it be better to extend the tips or put on resonated tips?
I did both on my exhaust. Sounds nice! wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Quote:
[b]
Do'nt underestimate the little GT you just may get your as- handed to you on a platter .Chico. devileek [/b]
Chico! Glad to hear from you GT Master. devilsmile
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#1869 - 07/25/05 10:09 PM Re: Delete U bend.... and resonator?
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
Ok, I know turbos have wastegates and blowoff valves to avoid excessive backpressure and too much boost, but do our supercharger systems have something like this? I was wondering because I seem to sense that my car lacks a certain backpressure. I think my exhaust might be just a little too free flowing- its a high-flow cat w/ 2.5" tubing straight back- no U-bend, no resonator. My car does have the drone, also; although I like it. When cars pull up to me on the highway and rev, my car drops to second gear and whines like a little baby. They back off very quickly. Sometimes, I get some cars that want to go for it. Pretty funny, although I have yet to race a Mustang GT or an LS1. I want to get a flashed PCM, FWI, and a 3.4" before I go after those badboys. How fast will our cars go, anyways? My car pulls through 90+mph in 2nd gear..

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >